Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens when the message folders are 100 percent full?

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='762800' date='02-Mar-2009 15:39']What happens when the message folders are 100 percent full? [/quote]
    I haven't tested it, but I assume you won't be able to receive PMs or store sent PMs until you remove some old ones. (There's an Archive Messages option on the left hand side)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't tested it, but I assume you won't be able to receive PMs or store sent PMs until you remove some old ones. (There's an Archive Messages option on the left hand side)

The Archive Message folder doesn't contribute to the 100 percent level? Storage is endless?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='762819' date='02-Mar-2009 16:27']The Archive Message folder doesn't contribute to the 100 percent level? Storage is endless? [/quote]
    Archive Messages is not a folder, but a way to have PM's e-mailed to you so that you can store them on your hard disk and delete them from your Personal Messenger.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Archive Messages is not a folder, but a way to have PM's e-mailed to you so that you can store them on your hard disk and delete them from your Personal Messenger.

I'll give it a try and see how it works! I don't have much I want to keep but I like to see what the various options do as I come across them!

Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='762819' date='02-Mar-2009 15:27']The Archive Message folder doesn't contribute to the 100 percent level? Storage is endless? [/quote]
    Attachment space used 483.29K of Unlimited
    I have users who think that anything to do with computers is an Infinite Resource!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad I gave this a try! My first effort was rather sad since I didn't change "Compile datafile as..." choice. The Importable MS Excel datafile which I tried using ended up as a txt file showing my messages all jumbled together. The messages could be sorted out but it seems that the HTML style is simpler. Maybe there is a better way to open the xls_importable.txt file other than in notepad? My conclusion, until I learn what to do with the xls files, is that the HTML file is a much better file for my purposes.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I must admit that I don't know what the Importable MS Excel Datafile format is for, and I agree that the HTML format is preferable.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='762807' date='02-Mar-2009 09:49']I haven't tested it, but I assume you won't be able to receive PMs or store sent PMs until you remove some old ones. (There's an Archive Messages option on the left hand side)[/quote]
    Oh gosh, that's a big burden to put on Loungers and I'd wager most won't know to do so. I was thinking that it would probably work kinda like a "cache" does and eliminate one or more OLDEST messages to make room for more. If that isn't the case, I don't know if we should add something to our developing FAQ about "message center maintenance."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='762906' date='02-Mar-2009 21:03']I don't know if we should add something to our developing FAQ about "message center maintenance."[/quote]
    Let's wait till we see how clear the error message is when people exceed their quota.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='762921' date='02-Mar-2009 16:48']Let's wait till we see how clear the error message is when people exceed their quota.[/quote]
    That sounds reasonable. I might get there pretty soon! I used to think that I don't send or receive too many PMs, but my "bar" says I'm 62% full which kinda surprises me!

Whoever gets there first should HOLLER out what happens.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I must admit that I don't know what the Importable MS Excel Datafile format is for, and I agree that the HTML format is preferable.

I found that I can import this data into my Microsoft Excel X for Mac by going to Data/Get External Data/Import Text Files/ change selection to All files to see the xls_importable.txt file. Then on mine, I made choices and clicked finished. The data is entered in individual rows across the sheet. I haven't tried the steps on my PC yet but I would expect it to work there as well. The messages are still not as easy to read as HTML data, but this method may be useful for storing messages one after another.

This is interesting because I've never seen this use of excel before.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Notice that none of the post counts for the loungers who have posted in this thread, have changed? How come?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='762927' date='02-Mar-2009 17:07'][/quote]
    Skitterbug, did you mean to make this post in THIS forum?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='762929' date='02-Mar-2009 17:10']Skitterbug, did you mean to make this post in THIS forum?[/quote]

Hummmm....maybe it should have been in a new thread? Since it covers another completely different topic. I goofed! What's new?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast