Thread: Read only

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Afternoon all

To declutter my PC I have copied everything over to CD-RW's with the expectation that I could open them from the CD's, work on them, close them and save them etc.

However they are all 'Read Only', I have right clicked and tried to remove the read only but non of the documents will have any of it. If I have to 'Save As' on everything it will be a nightmare.

Any suggestions please

P.S I did delete everything from the PC but managed to do a restore before my auto trash can cut in!!

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Get yourself a good sized USB external drive or even a large Thumb Drive and use it for file storage.

A CD/DVD has never been a good source, even these so called "Recordable" ones.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='762809' date='02-Mar-2009 14:51']To declutter my PC I have copied everything over to CD-RW's with the expectation that I could open them from the CD's, work on them, close them and save them etc.

However they are all 'Read Only', I have right clicked and tried to remove the read only but non of the documents will have any of it. If I have to 'Save As' on everything it will be a nightmare.[/quote]
    If you burn files to a CD then they will be in read-only form and you can't just use the CD as you would some other kind of drive. But you can use packet-writing to treat the CD as if it were any other kind of drive. If you have Nero then that is what the InCD feature is about. Roxio's Easy CD creator had a similar facility called DirectCD. (Though now apparently a revised version is called Drag-to-Disc - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectCD) There are other systems available - googling found InstantBurn for example, which also briefly describes the advantages of the system. I've no idea how good that software is.

It is quite convenient to be able to do this, but in the past it used to be said that packet writing was somewhat unreliable, and that you certainly ought not to trust it for backups. Whether that is still the case I don't know, not having used it for some time now.

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both

I think I will go down the USB route seeing as how they are so relatively cheap now

Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='762892' date='03-Mar-2009 03:18']Thank you both

I think I will go down the USB route seeing as how they are so relatively cheap now

Cheers

Steve[/quote]

Please don't overlook the benefit of what you have done. Those CD/DVDs are now an ARCHIVE of the state of your data at a given time, and they can be of immense importance to you if you happen to be doing anything important. That data can be restored to a computer, yours or any other, to pick up where you left off. Your concern about the trash can was misplaced: if you want the files back then just copy them back. (That is a 'Read' operation.) They may also be used as evidence in a court of law, either for you or against you, and if you are in business and fail to keep some kind of archive you could be in trouble.

You can lose your data in the blink of an eye with a flash drive or a hard drive, internal or external. For any small or home operation with one or several computers, this form of archiving is by far the most efficient and reliable. Keep the copies off-site in a secure location such a safety deposit box.

I am talking about significant data, not something as relatively easy to restore or replace as systems and software. Those may be expensive, but original data is irreplaceable.