Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='762824' date='02-Mar-2009 12:35']King's Singers - Barber of Seville Overture[/quote]
    GREAT!
    Where can I get the lyrics?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='762878' date='02-Mar-2009 13:19']GREAT!
    Where can I get the lyrics?[/quote]
    You can probably find them in your imagination! Just improvise!

Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='762824' date='02-Mar-2009 23:35']King's Singers - Barber of Seville Overture[/quote]

If you listen carefully and ignore any ascents:

First Chorus.
    Dupt Dupt Dupt Dupt
    Deduit Deduit deduit
    Etc........
    Catz

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='762824' date='02-Mar-2009 16:35']King's Singers - Barber of Seville Overture[/quote]
    Excellent skitterbug!

“I needed a chuckle and this provided it for me today!” Here you have, perhaps, one for tomorrow. A clip with the Swe-Danes; Alice Babs (Sweden), Svend Asmussen and Ulrik Neumann (Denmark). They joined in 1958 and toured a bit in the USA, Europe and elsewhere under the name Swe-Danes.

It's some small clips from 1962 and in-between her comments in Swedish. At around 1 min. 35 s. is the piece I was thinking about, "Swe-Danes Symphony" written by Neumann. But they are all good. (No need for lyrics here, there are no.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csRUYiZvB70

(Alice Babs who has, in my mind, an excellent voice later became royal court singer, and performed with Duke Ellington among other.) At 4 min. 45 s. there is another piece that shows a little about her range, in that group.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the best tradition of post hijacking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKMehoLaF8
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='762946' date='02-Mar-2009 18:31']In the best tradition of post hijacking...[/quote]
    Dadburn it, now you've got me silently humming and I won't be able to get rid of it all day!

Very funny indeed!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='763024' date='03-Mar-2009 04:33']Dadburn it, now you've got me silently humming ....[/quote]
    You're at least doing the coreographed movements as you hum, aren't you?
    Samantha

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks!
    Robert A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Here you have, perhaps, one for tomorrow. A clip with the Swe-Danes; Alice Babs (Sweden), Svend Asmussen and Ulrik Neumann (Denmark). They joined in 1958 and toured a bit in the USA, Europe and elsewhere under the name Swe-Danes.

It's some small clips from 1962 and in-between her comments in Swedish. At around 1 min. 35 s. is the piece I was thinking about, "Swe-Danes Symphony" written by Neumann. But they are all good. (No need for lyrics here, there are no.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csRUYiZvB70

(Alice Babs who has, in my mind, an excellent voice later became royal court singer, and performed with Duke Ellington among other.) At 4 min. 45 s. there is another piece that shows a little about her range, in that group.

I found this You Tube video was really interesting to listen to. I think it is fun listening to songs that have "no words", but the harmony and sounds are intriguing! I wish I could understand the language so I would know what the dialog was talking about. Thanks for sharing!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='762946' date='02-Mar-2009 18:31']In the best tradition of post hijacking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKMehoLaF8 [/quote]

all you want! This was good!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='763183' date='03-Mar-2009 22:14']I found this You Tube video was really interesting to listen to. I think it is fun listening to songs that have "no words", but the harmony and sounds are intriguing! I wish I could understand the language so I would know what the dialog was talking about.[/quote]
    Ah, well that's not much to talk about here, I guess. But for you, I’ll do a quick translation.

Initially in the clip the narrator, as you can guess, mentions that: "1958 she put together the group Swe-Danes, together with the Danes Svend Asmussen and Ulric Neumann."

At around 1:20 she says: First of all, we were already three established artists and each one had his own repertoire, so it became very alternating. Ulric (Neumann) did some composing, for example it was he who composed the "Swe-Danes Symphony" where we imitated a whole symphony orchestra.

At around 4:15 she says: Then Svend (Asmussen) did a lot of the arrangements for the jazz tunes that we liked so much to sing. And for me it was very interesting with Svend's arrangements, because I never knew what he would be up to. The more complicated, the more fun I thought it was; to be able to follow the violin into the descant. Thanks to my wonderful sing classes with Professor Ragnar Hultén from the Academy (Royal Swedish Academy of Music) I was able to, without difficulty, have a range of three and half octaves.

At around 5:15: the narrator says: Initially they performed under their own names. But that did not work so well when they came to the USA.

She says: The second time we were there as a trio, they told us 'we can't promote/market three people on that big screen in Los Angles, can't you come up with a name'. So we sat down and tried to come up with something, The Laplanders and other crazy names, and suddenly I said 'The Danes, and I'm from Sweden', 'Swe-Danes!' someone then said. It came just all of a sudden. It (the name and all) was very well received and led to a great start. It went very fast. We got a lot of airtime, they played us all day long, since it was so unique, we sang with no lyrics and they were not used to that. Louis (Armstrong) did scat, but they had never heard whole tunes in that style.

Finally at around 6:45, the narrator says: Swe-Danes had several great successes and toured the whole Europe and USA. They performed at the most famous places such as L'Olympia, Paris, in London, and at Coconut Grove, Los Angeles. But when they were at the top the trio stopped performing and they disjoined in 1962.
    ---
    Hope you can get something out of that.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='763249' date='03-Mar-2009 21:49']Ah, well that's not much to talk about here, I guess. But for you, I'll do a quick translation.
    ---
    Hope you can get something out of that. [/quote]

Thank you "very very extra very much" Argus! And yes, I did get "something out of that"! I think her voice is so clear and interesting to listen to! In fact the group is unique. I appreciate the time you took to explain the dialog!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jonWallace' post='762946' date='03-Mar-2009 00:31']In the best tradition of post hijacking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnKMehoLaF8 [/quote]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='763865' date='06-Mar-2009 11:07']In the best tradition of post hijacking...[/quote]Phew! For a micro-second there I thought you'd gone to fur and posted This One

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    That was great, though the Bride was not amused.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast