Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    An update to this utility to control loading programs during the PC boot process has been released. See the release notes and download from r2 Studios - Software.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    That looks like useful software in some circumstances, but I query whether a Startup Delayer can "speed up your computer's startup process"! It may make it more smooth (less frenetic disk head movement) but at the expense of unused CPU time, and thus somewhat extended elapsed time. I suppose the real advantage is that you get get on with unrelated stuff sooner than you could otherwise?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='762986' date='02-Mar-2009 21:57']That looks like useful software in some circumstances, but I query whether a Startup Delayer can "speed up your computer's startup process"! It may make it more smooth (less frenetic disk head movement) but at the expense of unused CPU time, and thus somewhat extended elapsed time. I suppose the real advantage is that you get get on with unrelated stuff sooner than you could otherwise?[/quote]
    Occasionally, programs can step on one another or get hung up waiting for something else to complete, so to me the real value of this type of software is to force a more orderly startup -- as well as to free up some processing cycles if the user wants to do something right away.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I've made two attempts with the software in the past, the first during Win98 days and the last about 4-5 years ago in WinXP. I never was able to develop anything that helped me organize the sequence of loading to advantage. I never had anything bad happen, so I wouldn't fault the software. I thought that maybe there are still other things going on like driver loads and so on, that made it more difficult for me to get a good sequence. I didn't want to spend any more time on it, so I gave up.

No idea what strides they've made with it in the past few years, so I can't say that one shouldn't give it a try. Who knows...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Like Al, I used this some time ago on a Win98 & then XP Pro machine. I no longer use it as I could not quantify any benfit on my systems.

I agree with Jefferson that the biggest startup problems result from having programs start prematurely (i.e a program trying to access the internet before the firewall and Windows networking are fully operational). This could help some of those who post about wierd issues at startup.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='763056' date='03-Mar-2009 09:27'][/quote]
    But, just to be open minded about it, I've downloaded this latest to give it a look-see. Maybe it better, who knows. Don't know when I'll have time to try it but probably not until right after a backup.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I also agree with Jefferson, and tend to think that programs like these are of potential value in trying to rectify startup problems. That said, I've never been able to succeed in getting the firewall loaded fully before any attempted internet connection is made.

Alan

Thanks
    I've used this software for some time now.

My primary reason for using it is that since at least Win2k (running WinXP SP3 now), most of the time when I reboot, some icons for programs that are actively running do not show up in the tray. The icons that don't show up are often different. The only 2 ways I have found to solve this problem are:

1: Logoff and then logon after a full reboot where there are missing icons

OR

2. Use StartupDelayer to start most of the tray apps sequentially. I allow about 15 tasks to start normally, then the other 27 tasks through SD.

I have not had any "missing icons in tray" problems since doing this.