3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

My grandson just called, and said the following:
    I fell today on the ice/snow with my laptop in it's carrying case. Now when I go to use it, the DVD drive is partly opened and won't work. I can close the drive but it won't stay closed.
    What can I expect to see when he brings it over tomorrow evening? Anything I can possibly fix with simple tools?
    Toshiba (don't know the model number) is fairly new - less than 6 months so I suspect calling for the warranty might be in order - but if I could fix it....
    Thanks for any info.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='bleduc' post='762956' date='02-Mar-2009 18:30'][/quote]

If the DVD won't work (i.e. play a DVD), then a repair is in order. I'd be somewhat surprised if that sort of damage is covered under the standard warranty. You may be able to arm twist a support person into a warranty repair but don't count on it.

If you can buy a new DVD player, replacing the current one should not be difficult. You should check the system documentation before attempting any repair.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='762965' date='02-Mar-2009 20:20']If you can buy a new DVD player, replacing the current one should not be difficult. You should check the system documentation before attempting any repair.[/quote]
    Thanks Joe, I'll be seeing him tonight and my first stop should be the Toshiba support site with his model number in hand. Like you I do suspect that it will be in for a dvd replacement (so long as the mounting brackets aren't damaged).
    I'm always amazed at the variety of help that is available here on the on Lounge.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='763016' date='03-Mar-2009 18:12']Thanks Joe, I'll be seeing him tonight and my first stop should be the Toshiba support site with his model number in hand. Like you I do suspect that it will be in for a dvd replacement (so long as the mounting brackets aren't damaged).
    I'm always amazed at the variety of help that is available here on the on Lounge.[/quote]

Some of the Toshiba laptops have a removable DVD drive. Just move the slider on the bottom of the case and out pops the DVD drive, which can be replaced by a false front for the bay (which comes with the computer), or a removable second hard drive, or a removable second battery, or an identical DVD drive. The second battery is small, but the removable second hard drive is serious stuff, and you can use multiple 2-1/2" drives one at a time. You don't even need a tool to replace any of these parts: just buy a new or used one and pop it in. If you have access to any stores that carry second-hand computers and parts you might get a good price on any or all of these.

My Satellite Pro M10 has this feature, but it is not a recent machine. On the other hand, it could explain why the DVD drive might not stay closed. If the drive isn't seated then the slider on the bottom of the computer will not be latched, and the drive will be forced to stick out the side. Just pull the drive out entirely to confirm that is is removable, then hold the slider in the open position (applying horizontal pressure with your finger) so the spring is compressed, and firmly insert the drive all the way and release the slider to latch it.

If this doesn't apply to the computer in question, ask the Toshiba rep to show you one (as a prospective customer, of course), since I think it's a clever arrangement that adds valuable flexibility.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[quote name='peterg' post='764308' date='09-Mar-2009 04:48']Some of the Toshiba laptops have a removable DVD drive.[/quote]
    Thanks for your very 'in Depth' assessment Peterg, while you were close (I wish I had one of those with the slider <g>),
    my grandson Finally came over - Kids, what's the matter with Kids now-a-days <g>. Took over a couple of weeks for him to just 'come on over' from the next town, not that far but still over two weeks... still he is my grandson...
    Ok, back to closing this post up. He did come over, and we successfully did finally get the DVD drive going. Not so lucky as to have a slider underneath that 'removed and reset' the drive (his is one of the lower end laptops), but we did push and prod (with the old paper clip straightened out) and finally she snapped back into position. Proved that the drive would stay closed and would 'read' a cd (which it did valiantly). A happy grandson is a happy granfather
    Thanks to all who offered assistance and guidance - be assured that it is not forgotten.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='bleduc' post='765707' date='16-Mar-2009 17:56'][/quote]

Congratulations!! Glad it all worked out. Thansk for posting back the solution.

Joe
    Joe