Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's something that brings back memories for me. When I worked at one of our IBM division headquarters in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey in the mid-70s, we had robot mail carts that traveled all over the multi-story building delivering daily mail. Ours did a beep-beep-beep as they moved around so people would know not to get in the way. But, like this article says, if someone did block its path, it would stop until you moved or someone came along to "encourage" you to get the heck out of the way. They had designated stopping places where all the secretaries worked so they could load, unload and press the "go" button.

I'm really surprised that it has taken our normally forward thinking university teaching hospital this long to adapt.

Robots make deliveries at UK Hospital

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A cracking idea Al, but I am somewhat in aggreement with Marco:

marko1 wrote on 03/03/2009 09:37:13 AM:
    For $21,000 a year, the hospital could increase Kentucky employment. Replacing people with machines isn't always a good thing.

Thanks
    [quote name='VegasNath' post='763145' date='04-Mar-2009 00:53']A cracking idea Al, but I am somewhat in agreement with Marco:

marko1 wrote on 03/03/2009 09:37:13 AM:
    For $21,000 a year, the hospital could increase Kentucky employment. Replacing people with machines isn't always a good thing.[/quote]

Remarkable, but I agree, replacing people with a robot is not the way to improve our economy.

If people are to be replaced, then it should into a better paying more rewarding job.
    Catz

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='763147' date='03-Mar-2009 10:08']Remarkable, but I agree, replacing people with a robot is not the way to improve our economy.

If people are to be replaced, then it should into a better paying more rewarding job.[/quote]

But look at all the jobs that are REQUIRED to make, assemble and maintain these robots

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='VegasNath' post='763145' date='03-Mar-2009 12:53']marko1 wrote on 03/03/2009 09:37:13 AM:[/quote]
    I'm afraid I have to ask: Who is marko1 and where did he make this pronouncement? I'm not aware of it.

The story has nothing to do with total employment at the University of Kentucky hospital. We don't know if employment there was diminished because of robotics or not. Since I live here and in my capacity at the nursing home, am quite familiar with that hospital, I seriously doubt that ANY negative employment impacts were imposed on total UK staffing. As far as I know, and the hospital administrator is an acquaintance of mine, they are HIRING, not reducing staff!

The moral of the story is IMPROVED patient care, not employment levels at the facility.

Edited: Never mind, I see where you got the marko1 from. I'm also sorry to say, since I read my local paper every day, that the people who take the time to write those "gripes" at the end of stories are mostly whacko's and I don't have any idea WHY the newspapers even allow the garbage that people write. 99.99% of the time, they have NO IDEA what they're talking about.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pauliez' post='763147' date='03-Mar-2009 13:08']Remarkable, but I agree, replacing people with a robot is not the way to improve our economy.

If people are to be replaced, then it should into a better paying more rewarding job.[/quote]
    I do believe that a point has been missed here.

What happens if a person or family continually spends more than their income? They go broke; that's what.

Why should a country be any different? It isn't; it just takes a little longer. However, if we collectively become more efficient (for instance by using robots), we can free up labour to produce other products which will increase our collective income.
    Regards
    Don