New Lounger
    Thanks
    I know how to link cells from different workbooks. How do you link cells from different workbooks within SharePoint? Once a workbook is loaded onto a sharePoint page (as a file), when you open the workbook your ability open other workbooks is no longer available. In order to link cells from different workbooks I've got to be able to open each workbook, create the links and then I'm in business, however without the ability to open multiple workbooks in SharePoint I'm stuck. Any advice on this is appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't you go back to the sharepoint site and open the next file?
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pieterse' post='763257' date='04-Mar-2009 01:11']Can't you go back to the sharepoint site and open the next file?[/quote]
    Yes I can, however in order to link the workbooks you have to have them all open at once to create the link. The purpose of the spreadsheet is to provide a personnel update for major organization leaders available on one document i.e. the master workbook which is linked to the unit workbooks where the data is being updated on a daily basis. This can easily be done on a network drive, but doing the same thing on a SharePoint web page is what I'm having trouble trying to accomplish.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='COLPete' post='763310' date='04-Mar-2009 12:25']Yes I can, however in order to link the workbooks you have to have them all open at once to create the link. The purpose of the spreadsheet is to provide a personnel update for major organization leaders available on one document i.e. the master workbook which is linked to the unit workbooks where the data is being updated on a daily basis. This can easily be done on a network drive, but doing the same thing on a SharePoint web page is what I'm having trouble trying to accomplish.[/quote]
    I just tested this on a SharePoint and it worked as I would expect. The sequence of steps was.
    • I created two Excel files called Test1.xls and Test2.xls
    • I Uploaded both files to a SharePoint
    • I opened Test1.xls from the sharepoint
    • Without closing Test1.xls, I went back to the SharePoint window and opened Test2.xls
    • I entered data in Test1.xls
    • I copied a cell in Text1.xls and pasted a link in Text2.xls
    • I closed both files
    • I opened Test1.xls and changed the value
    • I closed Test1.xls
    • I opened Text2.xls and when prompted I told it to update values

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Exactly what I tried to say!
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com