Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Toronto Star

I have easily resisted Facebook Twits, etc on the grounds that I'm a very private person.
    So why is it that on Scuttlebut anyone who wants to know can learn exactly how many times I stroke my cat in the morning?

If you see what I mean.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I definitely do NOT want to know how many times you rub your face back-and-forth in your cat's belly before rising from your bed - not even approximately!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am not sure that I am comfortable even knowing that you rub your face on your cat's belly.

Be that as it may, I am one of those dinosaurs that believes that the internet (read MySpace, Facebook, etc.) is not some place to expose myself and details of my life. I do use it to keep in touch with family and friends via email, chat and (very grudgingly) text messaging.

I am always amazed at the kinds of information that people are willing to share on these sites and then confused by the amazement they demonstrate when the TMI comes back to haunt them which invariably it does.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='763140' date='04-Mar-2009 01:37']Toronto Star

I have easily resisted Facebook Twits, etc on the grounds that I'm a very private person.
    So why is it that on Scuttlebut anyone who wants to know can learn exactly how many times I rub my face back-and-forth in my cat's belly before rising from my bed?

If you see what I mean.[/quote]

I would never do that with my cat either.

He, like most creatures of habit, just might like it and want it all the time.
    Catz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='763143' date='03-Mar-2009 13:46']I definitely do NOT want to know how many times you rub your face back-and-forth in your cat's belly before rising from your bed - not even approximately![/quote]
    Who said anything about a cat's belly?

Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='763306' date='04-Mar-2009 19:16']Who said anything about a cat's belly? [/quote]

OMG!
    Catz

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='chrisgreaves' post='763140' date='03-Mar-2009 17:37']Toronto Star

So why is it that on Scuttlebut anyone who wants to know can learn exactly how many times I stroke my cat in the morning?

If you see what I mean.[/quote]

It is indeed an interesting article. The author's problem could be solved in a number of ways. There's a technical solution - Facebook already allows you to group your friends into categories - perhaps a logical development would be to allow a particular status update to be seen only by certain groups - but that's not available (yet) as far as I know.

The approach I adopt is to try not to be a different person depending what group I'm with. I try not to swear - ever - so I wouldn't really have to worry about swearing in my facebook status. (It really isn't that hard - after a few weeks of conscious effort the swear words just drop out of your vocabulary). I remember who my friends are and treat them equally; if I see something disgusting, they might not want to know about it - so why tell them?

I liked the "There is no turning back with information. Once it's out there, it's out there" quote. You don't have to quit social networking in order to stop sharing information - just don't post stuff you don't want other people (including your granny and your 11-year-old cousins) to see. I don't see why that's so hard. It's not all-or-nothing, it's just a case of engaging your brain before you type.
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PS - how many lounge friends do you have?
    Waggers
    If at first you do succeed, you&#39;ve probably missed something.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Waggers' post='763897' date='06-Mar-2009 12:28']PS - how many lounge friends do you have? [/quote]

None, that I know of ...

> (including your granny and your 11-year-old cousins)

... but there again, I was much surprised to learn that I had some 11-year old cousins. Any ideas on which side of the family ....?