New Lounger
    Thanks
    After reading Woody's home server for dummies I realized that I had a perfect computer in the shop that I can use for a server. But the only software versions I see are OEM versions for new hardware only. Does anybody know a place that sells a retail version, hopefully for less than twice the price?
    Thanks,
    Kathleen

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='4homestylepc' post='763255' date='03-Mar-2009 23:24'][/quote]

There is no retail version of WHS. You can purchase the OEM version from Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows Home Server OEM with URP1: Software, Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Home Server 32 Bit 1 Pack (Power pack 1) - Server Software, or your favorite software vendor. It is perfectly legal to do this. The only limitation to an OEM version is that Microsoft does not provide support. The OEM is supposed to provide support. Since you would be the OEM that would be you.

There are quite a few enthusiast sites you can find on the Internet that have lots of good information and help.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Joe. I tried to order WHS through our regular discount software/licensing place, they sell to non-profits for discounts and I am buying for the church. They said and I quote:

"Kathleen,

Hey! I just got back into the office and have attached a quote for this software. I do have a note to make with this. This is an OEM product. And what this means is that this can only be sold if you are going to be putting this on a server/system that you are currently building. You cannot put this on a system that you currently own or on a system that you yourself are not building. If you have any questions please let me know."

I wrote back : Thank you. I want to set up 2 servers, using older machines I have on hand, one of which is a Dell. What do I need to do to comply with OEM standards? In the past, if I bought a small piece of hardware (such as a mouse) with the software, it would comply with OEM regs as far as the store was concerned (such as newegg). Would that work here?

And his response was this:

Kathleen,

To be compliant, since these are not going on new systems, we would not be able to offer the OEM version to you. And there is nothing that we can do with this to enable you to become compliant. Unless you are buying new servers with no previous OS on them. The closest thing we would be able to offer is the Windows Server Standard 2008 Licenses for $115.00, which contains Windows Media Services 2008. Here is a link which explains what this contains:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...odinfo2008.aspx

I am not sure if this is what you need, but if it is then we can offer this to you through this avenue.

And it would not be the same here as at NewEgg, we would need to know that this is going on a completely new system before we could sell this.

So that sort of spooked me. But you are saying that if I buy WHS OEM anywhere it would work just fine on an older machine that I have, I could just format the drive and install the WHS operating system?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this,
    Kathleen

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='4homestylepc' post='763523' date='04-Mar-2009 23:27'][/quote]

WHS does not have a retail version. All articles that I've read say it is OK for you (a normal consumer) to buy the "OEM" version and put it on a machine you already have. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Windows Home Server Review (already 16 months old).

Just make sure that your system will support it.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thank you again Joe, I ordered the OEM version,
    kathleen

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='4homestylepc' post='764016' date='07-Mar-2009 00:23'][/quote]

If the version you receive does not have Windows Home Server Power Pack 1 already, install it first thing after you get WHS installed.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    alright, thank you for the advice,
    kathleen

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4homestylepc View Post
    thank you again Joe, I ordered the OEM version,
    I installed the OEM WHS system (from Amazon) on a PC I already had. No problems. (Well, not with the install).