New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, recent updates for Java and Skype result in a failed installation with the error message 1606, "Cannot access network location."

Older installations continue to work fine (and in Skype's case re-installation with an older an program is no problem).
    Skype's support department have given up. They just don't reply to e-mails!
    It's just the recent updates which have began to throw up installation errors.

I am Using XP Home, SP3.
    I have tried to research this on the internet but nothing conclusive comes out. Various suggestions have not worked.
    I have done system scans with various reg checker programs, and removed a lot of garbage, but still no joy.
    Is this a case of poor writing of the installation routine as suggested by some.
    Any suggestions to resolve this will be much appreciated.

Stoker.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Although the following article is not about the software you mention, the suggestions are worth a try: You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='763309' date='04-Mar-2009 12:22']Welcome to the Lounge!

Although the following article is not about the software you mention, the suggestions are worth a try: You receive an "Error 1606" error message when you try to install or remove a Microsoft program.[/quote]

Thanks. One of the most helpful pages I've seen so far.

Before I start to make changes, as outlined in the article, may I ask for your comments on some of the entries in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders referenced in the article.

I have partitioned my hard drive into three sections. C:/ for programs, D:/ for data, and E: for media. I have also moved "My documents" to D:/Stoker Wilson.

Instead of the entry
    Personal REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents
    I have
    Personal REG_EXPAND_SZ D:\Stoker Wilson
    where "Stoker Wilson" is my id, reflecting the change in the location of "My documents"

Instead of the entry
    My Pictures REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\My Documents\My Pictures
    I have
    My Pictures REG_EXPAND_SZ D:\Stoker Wilson\My Pictures

The entry, Recent REG_EXPAND_SZ %USERPROFILE%\Recent is missing.

And I have an additional entry
    My Music REG_SZ E:\My Music.

I'm looking at where I should now start. Do you think I ought to restore My documents back to C:\. If I want to retain them on D:\ what should the entries read? Do you think the name "Stoker Wilson" instead of "My documents" is throwing the system?

Sorry for being so long winded.

Stoker.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if it's relevant here, but some programs get upset by My Documents not being in the default location. So if it's not too much bother, you could try restoring the default situation, to see if the problems with installing go away.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='763342' date='04-Mar-2009 14:40']I don't know if it's relevant here, but some programs get upset by My Documents not being in the default location. So if it's not too much bother, you could try restoring the default situation, to see if the problems with installing go away.[/quote]

Hi. I've reset default situation, as per Microsoft article. Problem still remains.

When I try to install latest Java update, installation proceeds to a point where it says "computing space requirements", then bombs out with error message.
    Error 1606: Could not access network location:

Any other suggestions or clues would be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, I'm out of ideas. I hope that someone else will have a suggestion for you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Stoker' post='763438' date='04-Mar-2009 14:36'][/quote]

Are you logged in using an account that is an administrator? Have you tried installing in safe mode?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='763596' date='05-Mar-2009 14:34']Are you logged in using an account that is an administrator? Have you tried installing in safe mode?

Joe[/quote]
    Hi, Thanks for the response.

Yes, I'm logged in as an administrator. No, I've not tried installing in safe mode.

I begin think it's a problem with a corrupt windows installer in the registry. I cannot uninstall the Java.
    Can you trust one of the reg cleaners to get rid of the problem if you check the uninstall option.
    Or any other suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Stoker' post='763849' date='06-Mar-2009 13:49'][/quote]
    Revo Uninstaller has been mentioned several times in the Lounge lately. It searches the registry after uninstalling for leftover files and registry entries. I's free.
    And CCleaner is a safe registry cleaner; it's free too.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Stoker' post='763849' date='06-Mar-2009 06:49'][/quote]

When you moved & renamed "My Documents" did you just change the registry or did you use the Window Explorer "Target" tab on "My Documents" properties?

The "Target" tab has a "Restore Default" button that should restore all the needed registry entries.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Yes, I used Restore default".

I thought I had solved it. Since Java 6.11 would not uninstall normally I used MS clean windows installer to remove the uninstall entry.
    Then thought it prudent to try to re-install v6.11. It looked as if it was working - reported a previousl installation - asked did I want to re-install, appeared to accept it then stopped. Java won't work at all now.

Then tried to install latest 6.12. All went well at first - got way beyond point of first error 1606 - but then when it seemed as if all was well threw up a new one - Error 25099. Unzipping core file failed.

I tried a system restore to get back to where I was - but that failed.
    I think the next thing is to restore c:\ from my backup. At least I'll be back to a working Java.

And then think again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Stoker' post='763923' date='06-Mar-2009 11:17'][/quote]

Did you turn off your antivirus software when trying the system restore?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

No, but I've now done a restore from backup, so I'm back where I began.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Just an update on this problem.

I finally decided to re-install Windows. It was agood excuse because over the last two years it has got rather slow.

Re-install went well, and Java installed without problem. I've yet to try the skype re-instalation.

Thanks for all you suggestions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Stoker' post='764800' date='11-Mar-2009 08:14'][/quote]

Well, one down one to go. Glad the reinstall of XP and Java install went well. Hope Skype does too. Thanks for posting back.

Joe