3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am receiving this error message when I attempt to open a document, and I have no idea why:

The XX file cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.

Details- No error detail available

Not exactly very informative, that. Anyone? Is there anyway to open it, like in a repair mode or something?

I think the problem stems from 1 of 2 things- doing a lot of experimenting with pasting images from Visio, Paint, and Picture manager, and the fact that Word kept crashing yesterday when I was doing that pasting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this:

1. Start Word.
    2. Click the Office Button and select Open.
    3. Browse to the problem document.
    4. Click once on the document.
    5. Click the dropdown arrow next to the Open button.
    6. Select "Open and Repair" from the dropdown menu.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice- same error message. I know the document is there in full because I can see the size (3.945 KB). Any other options? I have about 4 hours of work at stake here, picky work that I'd prefer not to have to repeat.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    i tried to print it and was given a debug option, which yielded this:

rivate Sub TmpDDE()
    Dim t
    Rem _DDE_Minimize
    WordBasic.FileOpen "\\XX\XX\XX\XX\XX\XX.docx"
    t = WordBasic.IsDocumentDirty()
    WordBasic.FilePrint 0
    WordBasic.SetDocumentDirty t
    WordBasic.DocClose
    End Sub

The XXs are mine, in place of the specific file info

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you have snapshot backups turned on? If so, try restoring a non-corrupt recent snapshot.

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='763636' date='05-Mar-2009 08:07']i tried to print it and was given a debug option, which yielded this:

Private Sub TmpDDE()[/quote]
    That reminds me of some temporary code Word uses under the covers to print a document when you right-click it in Windows Explorer and choose Print from the context menu without first opening the document.

Have you tried using Insert > Object > Text from file to insert the contents of your problem document into a blank document? This sometimes helps.

If all else fails, you could try inserting the document text into a blank document by manipulating the actual DOCX (ZIP) file itself. I only experimented with an uncorrupted document, so I don't know whether this would be useful in your case.
    1. Save a blank document with a name like transplant.docx, then close the document. Rename the document with a .zip extension.
    2. Make a copy of the corrupted document, change the file extension on the copy to .zip (e.g., corrupted.zip).
    3. Open corrupted.zip in a program that works with Zip archives (e.g., WinZip, 7-zip), navigate to \word\document.xml, and extract that file to the same folder as transplant.zip.
    4. Open transplant.zip in your zip program, navigate to the word folder, and replace document.xml with the one from your corrupted file. I was able to drag and drop it into the archive, but techniques may differ.
    5. Rename transplant.zip to transplant.docx and try opening it in Word.
    Any luck?

Added: I suppose you could try copying over other elements if the first test works but doesn't recover everything you need.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='763643' date='05-Mar-2009 17:27']Do you have snapshot backups turned on? If so, try restoring a non-corrupt recent snapshot.[/quote]
    I have no idea- is that a Word settings (couldn't find any info on it in Word help) or a Vista setting?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a Windows setting, available in Vista Ultimate, Business and Enterprise - see Explore the features: Shadow Copy.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='763646' date='05-Mar-2009 17:36']That reminds me of some temporary code Word uses under the covers to print a document when you right-click it in Windows Explorer and choose Print from the context menu without first opening the document.

Have you tried using Insert > Object > Text from file to insert the contents of your problem document into a blank document? This sometimes helps.

If all else fails, you could try inserting the document text into a blank document by manipulating the actual DOCX (ZIP) file itself. I only experimented with an uncorrupted document, so I don't know whether this would be useful in your case.
    1. Save a blank document with a name like transplant.docx, then close the document. Rename the document with a .zip extension.
    2. Make a copy of the corrupted document, change the file extension on the copy to .zip (e.g., corrupted.zip).
    3. Open corrupted.zip in a program that works with Zip archives (e.g., WinZip, 7-zip), navigate to \word\document.xml, and extract that file to the same folder as transplant.zip.
    4. Open transplant.zip in your zip program, navigate to the word folder, and replace document.xml with the one from your corrupted file. I was able to drag and drop it into the archive, but techniques may differ.
    Any luck?

Added: I suppose you could try copying over other elements if the first test works but doesn't recover everything you need.[/quote]

Many thanks! It worked- I was able to recover the text (though not the charts, but that's okay), which saved me quite a bit of time. Much appreciated.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='763646' date='05-Mar-2009 17:36']That reminds me of some temporary code Word uses under the covers to print a document when you right-click it in Windows Explorer and choose Print from the context menu without first opening the document.

Any luck?

Added: I suppose you could try copying over other elements if the first test works but doesn't recover everything you need.[/quote]

Do I have your permission to paraphrase these instructions in an interoffice document for my coworkers?

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='763678' date='05-Mar-2009 10:08']Do I have your permission to paraphrase these instructions in an interoffice document for my coworkers?[/quote]
    Absolutely. Maybe put the word "copy" in large, bold type to cover our backsides.

Added thought: On the first step, it might be better to generate the blank transplant.docx document from the template that will give the closest match to the corrupted document, rather than always using the default template for blank documents, but I haven't tested that theory.

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='763658' date='05-Mar-2009 09:08']Many thanks! It worked- I was able to recover the text (though not the charts, but that's okay), which saved me quite a bit of time. Much appreciated.[/quote]
    If you poke around in the other folders in the Zip file, you may well find your charts. I think I've found inserted pictures in a docx file renamed to .zip, and they were easy to extract because Word had not made any format changes to them. Embedded objects might be another story.