Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All!

We're running Outlook 2003 (recently upgraded from 2000, though I don't think that's related to this problem) and Exchange 2003.

One of our users has somehow managed to move several folders to Deleted Items. I can move most of these back, but not the Sent Items folder. When I try to move this one, I get the message "Can't move the items. Special folders, including the Inbox, Contacts, Calendar, Notes, Tasks and Journal folders, cannot be moved".

Sent emails continue to appear in the Sent Items folder, although its icon has changed to that of an ordinary folder.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can return the Sent Items folder back to the mailbox root?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MarkU' post='763626' date='05-Mar-2009 08:53']Outlook 2003 user has managed to move several folders to Deleted Items. I can move most of these back, but not the Sent Items folder[/quote]
    Mark, try this: close the user's Outlook and all Outlook windows and processes (check Task Manager), then run the following command line in the "Run" box:

outlook.exe /resetfolders

(Note single space before slash.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, John, but it didn't resolve the problem.

The Sent Items folder is still in Deleted Items, and it still refuses to move.

Does anyone have any other ideas? If not, I'll have to archive all the email to a PST, destroy the mailbox, and create it from scratch!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='MarkU' post='763832' date='06-Mar-2009 11:33']Thanks for the suggestion, John, but it didn't resolve the problem.

The Sent Items folder is still in Deleted Items, and it still refuses to move.

Does anyone have any other ideas? If not, I'll have to archive all the email to a PST, destroy the mailbox, and create it from scratch![/quote]
    You could create a new .pst, and tell Outlook to use that as delivery location (in Tools | E-mail accounts | View or change existing e-mail accounts).
    Then move as much as possible from the old .pst to the new one.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='763835' date='06-Mar-2009 03:46']create a new .pst, and tell Outlook to use that as delivery location...[/quote]Since this is an Exchange environment, I'm guessing that it is the Exchange mailbox view that's the problem, not the PST.

Mark, try to delete and recreate the users Exchange mailbox under Tools | Email accounts.

If that doesn't work, your idea about moving everything to a PST and recreating the mailbox on the Server should work.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='MarkU' post='763832' date='06-Mar-2009 04:33'][/quote]

Have you tried shutting down Outlook and deleting the OST file. It will be automatically created when Outlook is restarted. Most likely this won't work but it is easy to try.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for everyone's advice!

One of my colleagues found another solution before I got to try any of your suggestions. In case anyone gets a similar problem, here's what my colleague did...

You can use MFCMapi (http://mfcmapi.codeplex.com/) to move folders. Since Sent Items is a special folder, the move function is greyed out, but you can copy and paste instead, ticking the option to move instead (a bizarre workaround, but it did the trick).

I still have no idea how the folder got moved in the first place, but that's IT for you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    [quote name='MarkU' post='764783' date='11-Mar-2009 06:14'][/quote]

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for posting back. Your solution may help another Lounger in the future.

Joe
    Joe