4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Please advise how I should reply to a post. If I just type my reply below the original post I get an error message saying "The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post." I found the only way to avoid this was to delete the two lines between square brackets but I have had two messages telling me that what I am doing is wrong. I have searched your FAQ and Help sections but am still in the dark

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='763829' date='06-Mar-2009 11:19']Please advise how I should reply to a post. If I just type my reply below the original post I get an error message saying "The number of opening and closing quote tags does not match. Please fix this to submit your post." I found the only way to avoid this was to delete the two lines between square brackets but I have had two messages telling me that what I am doing is wrong. I have searched your FAQ and Help sections but am still in the dark

Regards[/quote]
    Look carefully for the [quote ...] and [/quote] tags. When you're replying to a post that already contains a quote, ideally only the text that you added should be quoted, and the rest omitted, but sometimes the software hiccups and keeps two [quote ...] tags but only one [/quote]. This causes the error. If that happens, it's best to delete the "inner" [quote ...] tag. Or delete everything and start typing in an empty box.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='philkiwi' post='763829' date='06-Mar-2009 05:19']Please advise how I should reply to a post.[/quote]
    I can't resist a reply even though Hans beat me to it because I was off making a couple of graphics to show you. Perhaps you HAVE come up with an idea for another FAQ. I'll pow-wow with the Admins to see what they think.

Ordinarily, when you click the Reply button to a post that doesn't already have a quote, you will get a window that looks something like the following graphic, where you would normally start your reply where I have shown an arrow. If you like, you can delete all the text between the opening and closing quote tags as I've done with yours in this post. Many of us feel it's best to leave, at a minimum, the short quote as I've done here because it provides the little "snapback" arrow, allowing a reader to see the post to which you're replying.

[attachment=82679:11111.png]

As Hans pointed out, you've come across a problem with "double-quotes" where the second closing quote tag is missing. If you add a second closing quote the reply will be OK. As Hans said, you CAN delete the whole mess and create your reply in an empty window, but as a reader I prefer the method above simply because of the snapback.

[attachment=82680:22222.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images