Thread: Outlook 2003

Lounger
    Thanks
    2 issues

1. I come from the Eudora school of email and have become accustomed to multi-level search criteria ..... it is not obviuos to me how this can be done in Outllook ...... can it be done

2. After searching the entire PST file, groping through zillions of folders, a fine little list of messages appear. But then, how does one identify in which folder any one particular message resides ......... or is it necessary to run the search over again to find the same message if needed in the future?

oh ...... I miss Eudora dearly, and don't believe that Thunderbird will ever be as friendly or useful .......... and I have no words for Outlook, it is necssary in the environment in which I find myself, but never a week that goes by when I do not think of the good old days .....

As a side note: Does anyone know if Mitch Kapor's Lotus Agenda has any offspring ...... now there was software for the future and beyond that never made it beyond DOS, and I have never seen anything like it since.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='euler' post='763851' date='06-Mar-2009 13:56'][/quote]
    [s]Which version of Outlook are you using?[/s]

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='763855' date='06-Mar-2009 14:09']Which version of Outlook are you using?[/quote]
    Hans, in the topic title, Outlook 2003
    Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Francois' post='763862' date='06-Mar-2009 14:51']Hans, in the topic title, Outlook 2003[/quote]
    Oops, sorry!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='euler' post='763851' date='06-Mar-2009 06:56'][/quote]

See Understanding Outlook 2003's search folders. Also, see several of the topics at Searched Outlook 2003 for "search" - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online.

Joe
    Joe

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='euler' post='763851' date='06-Mar-2009 05:56']1.multi-level search criteria
    2. how does one identify in which folder any one particular message resides[/quote]
    1. Using the Advanced Find dialog in Outlook (Ctrl-Shift-F), use the options under the "More Choices" and "Advanced" tabs. No, MS didn't make it easy, but you can do powerful searches with some work. And you have already been given advice about Search Folders - they also have a Custom option at the bottom of the New Search Folder Dialog which enables you to create some powerful groupings.

2. MS probably assumed that since users can open the message in the Advanced Find window (and relocate the open Item from there), you don't need the path information. This little macro will give it to you (intended for a single Item only)

Sub showpath()
    Dim selitem As Object
    If TypeName(Application.ActiveWindow) = "Explorer" Then
    Set selitem = ActiveExplorer.Selection(1)
    Else
    Set selitem = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
    End If
    MsgBox selitem.Parent.FolderPath
    Set selitem = Nothing
    End Sub
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='euler' post='763851' date='06-Mar-2009 05:56']Does anyone know if Mitch Kapor's Lotus Agenda has any offspring...[/quote]
    It was replaced by Organizer, still available from IBM.
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='763889' date='06-Mar-2009 16:03']It was replaced by Organizer, still available from IBM.[/quote]

Sure, Lotus Organizer is an ok tool. In fact I used it for many things. After Kapor left Lotus and Lotus was consumed by IBM, Agenda's original vision faded and eventually vanished. Eventually, Organizer evolved, touted as Agenda's successor. But it falls way way far short of being the speed of thought, data absorbing super tool that Agenda represented. The software was a true tool. It could be picked up and applied with the same breezy, universal utility one associates with the spreadsheet. In a DOS module less than a mage byte in size, this tool was a breakthrough in data organization and presentation, and there is nothing out there today that has picked up the slack and filled the void.

The largest project I undertook using Agenda was as a data collector, organizer and presentation tool in 1991 for an energy audit of the 125 buildings in McMurdo Station Antarctica. I was able to capture all qualitative and quantitative information, perfrom summary calculations and reorganize data into useable reports in seconds. Thousands of observations quickly and effortlessly categorized, allowed me to shape custom views and reports in a flash of time. Agenda provided the framework and structure, and all one had to do was pick the mode and populate the data base.

Organizer, as nice a tool as it is, could not even be considered in the same class as Agenda. I have corresponded with various folks over the years and have found many sympathizers (including Mitch himself), but never any successful effort to duplicate Kapor's extraordinary vision in a Windows compatible environment .... there a some specialized applications modelled on the Agenda concept that have been designed specifically for certain industries (Law for example). But these are so specialized that using them for adhoc purposes, as was the original intent of Agenda, is not very productive.

So Agenda remains locked away in the land of DOS, and and there it remains in a glaciated state waiting to be thawed so it may blossom once again .... like any great DNA, one day to be cloned and live again, providing a visionary glimpse of what can actually be done with so little .... just imagine what that little bit of code could do on today's computers ....... never mind computers 50 years hence ....

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you ........ I learned about the advancd find from a colleague and although not as easy as Eudora, it will have to do ......

By the way, I "discovered" that the field chooser in the right click drop down menu contains a selection that provides the folder indentity. Cleverly concealed under the field heading title "In Folder" one would never suspect that this was actually the heading needed to reveal the folder identity of residence for a certain message. In retrospect, I suppose this means .... the folder "in" which the message resides; convoluted, but what the heck ...... Outlook Help is not much more revealing and if I had not stumbled on this by accident, I am sure that it would have remained safely camoflaged under its own little rock.

[quote name='JohnBF' post='763874' date='06-Mar-2009 15:25']1. Using the Advanced Find dialog in Outlook (Ctrl-Shift-F), use the options under the "More Choices" and "Advanced" tabs. No, MS didn't make it easy, but you can do powerful searches with some work. And you have already been given advice about Search Folders - they also have a Custom option at the bottom of the New Search Folder Dialog which enables you to create some powerful groupings.

2. MS probably assumed that since users can open the message in the Advanced Find window (and relocate the open Item from there), you don't need the path information. This little macro will give it to you (intended for a single Item only)

Sub showpath()
    Dim selitem As Object
    If TypeName(Application.ActiveWindow) = "Explorer" Then
    Set selitem = ActiveExplorer.Selection(1)
    Else
    Set selitem = ActiveInspector.CurrentItem
    End If
    MsgBox selitem.Parent.FolderPath
    Set selitem = Nothing
    End Sub[/quote]

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='euler' post='764540' date='10-Mar-2009 01:48'][/quote]
    Ah, so your question was rhetorical. Most user end information tools now are structured around conventional database collection and spreadsheet analysis, and personal information managers have become primarily business tools. (I was going to comment earlier that Notes was probably the real death-knell of Agenda.) Perhaps you could look at AskSam.
    UTC -7ąDS