4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Celeron PC that I'm troubleshooting because its USB ports aren't working. The current screen resolution is only 16 colors, at 640 x 480. I want to put it at 256 colors, but when I go to Desktop|Properties|Settings, the resolution is so low the Apply and OK buttons are off-screen to the bottom. I tried using Alt-Spacebar-M to move the window up, but I can only move it enough to get the title bar off the top of the screen: the buttons still aren't showing. Is there some way I can "click" on those buttons without the mouse?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should be able to tab to the buttons. Also try Alt+A to Apply.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you using your arrow keys to move the window or the mouse? You should be able to move the window high enough off the top edge of the monitor using the arrow keys. The mouse will restrict your movement to the top of the monitor.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='mbarron' post='764350' date='09-Mar-2009 09:20']You should be able to tab to the buttons. Also try Alt+A to Apply.[/quote]
    Thanks, Alt+A did the trick.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='mbarron' post='764358' date='09-Mar-2009 09:38']Are you using your arrow keys to move the window or the mouse? You should be able to move the window high enough off the top edge of the monitor using the arrow keys. The mouse will restrict your movement to the top of the monitor.[/quote]
    I may not have been using the arrow keys properly. What should I have done once I got the 4-sided arrow showing onscreen (after pressing Alt+Spacebar+M)?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JJDetroit' post='764367' date='09-Mar-2009 14:59']I may not have been using the arrow keys properly. What should I have done once I got the 4-sided arrow showing onscreen (after pressing Alt+Spacebar+M)?[/quote]
    I had this reply ready, more or less, earlier but had to rush away; so just to give some suggestions about tricks, I post it anyhow.
    ---
    Use accelerator keys if you want Apply, but if that doesn't work, confirm the whole dialogue box, and then re-open it. See below.
    • Depending on what you are doing; after the changes are done in the dialogue box, hit Enter.
    • Or if you need some other button; try using the accelerator keys for the buttons (and your OS & language version, i.e. Alt+ the key), but that isn't always possible (no accelerator key for a certain button). In that case; how about, if you know the dialogue box, tabbing (using Tab) to the right place, then pressing Enter, or the above Enter directly at the change drop-down or similar (remember, Enter always confirms, if not on Cancel or another window button, of course ).
    ---
    Back to the present situation; when you have a 4-sided move icon showing, use the arrow keys and position the window, then press Enter to confirm the new position. In some cases the window may bounce back a bit when you press Enter, since at least some part must be showing. So it isn’t, perhaps, always possible to use, if one got some abnormal resolution; also I don’t know if there are some changes in the Windows shell that make it work a bit different depending on OS version.