Star Lounger
    Thanks
    On our older computer, running Windows 98, we get an error message when starting:

Windows Protection Error
    You need to restart your computer

When we restart, we can do so in Safe Mode. But if we do so in normal mode, we get the Windows Protection Error again.

Any suggestions?

Joel

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jefnl05' post='763931' date='06-Mar-2009 18:57'][/quote]
    There is an MSKB about that.
    How to Troubleshoot Windows Protection Error Messages
    Does that help ?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, I'm working through the troubleshooting steps.

Joel

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've worked through the entire list, without success, except that I skipped the part about disabling all the devices (in System / Device Manager).

Can I really disable the display adapters, keyboard, and mouse, and still be able to boot up and use the computer?

Joel

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jefnl05' post='764047' date='07-Mar-2009 15:24']Can I really disable the display adapters, keyboard, and mouse, and still be able to boot up and use the computer?[/quote]
    I hope somebody else can answer because I don't know.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've never come up against this error with my Win 98 system at home but I did have trouble getting it to boot recently because stuff had become corrupted.

If you choose to boot normally but confirming each driver as it loads you will be able to make a note of where it falls over. If you then reboot in safe mode you should be able to repair the problem file by copying it from your Win 98 Master CD or by searching the net for a copy.

I did get my system going again but all I did with it was make sure I'd got all my data off it and then I reinstalled Windows 98 from scratch.

Ken

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

At the risk of plugging a product...after trying everything suggested by you and by Microsoft, I used PC Pit Stop and somehow that got things working again.

Joel