Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I've got to admit that I'm getting fed up with this intermittent problem! I've had this, on and off, ever since I've started using SD and now SDHC memory cards.

I would refer you to an old thread: Post 711808 where I thought I had solved this one, once and for all.

But not so. Today, I put the card from my Treo 680 in the card reader, planning to add a few songs to it and got the old, dreaded write protected error message. The card (drive) is shared to "Everyone" with "Full Control" as I think I did the last time, but I can't put the @#$%^&* songs on it that I would like to copy. There has got to be some universally workable solution to this problem. What's so frustrating is that here is a look at the card's directory showing what I put on there the last time I wrestled with this.

[attachment=82696:2009_03_06_155420.png]

Does anyone know what the answer is? BTW, I have a few brand new, never used SDHC 4 gig cards that I bought for backups or replacement, just in case. Cheap, ya know. Well, they act the same way - write protected. Gimme a break...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='763972' date='06-Mar-2009 15:41'][/quote]

If found this looking around the internet:

Check out the registry under
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\StorageDevicePolicies.
    The value 'WriteProtect' should be absent or set to '0'.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='763977' date='06-Mar-2009 17:04']HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\StorageDevicePolicies.
    The value 'WriteProtect' should be absent or set to '0'.[/quote]
    Thanks for looking, Joe, but I don't have that key. Just for good measure I searched the whole registry looking for both "writeprotect" and "write protect" and don't have any hits.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='763972' date='06-Mar-2009 16:41']Today, I put the card from my Treo 680 in the card reader, planning to add a few songs to it and got the old, dreaded write protected error message.[/quote]
    Just a thought here Al, but all of my equipment that I have that uses SD cards specify in their manuals that it is not recommended to use 'other' equipment to write/format the SD card - better to use (in your case) the Treo 680.
    Might just be that the Treo is doing it's thing to the card to safeguard it's information?
    Yes, your card reader does read the card, and possibly writes to it as well, but is it overwriting something that Treo is looking for?
    Just a thought as I usually use the transport program that came with my Walkman - it basicly seems to be a glorified explorer but does check validity for 'it's' supported file types.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='764025' date='07-Mar-2009 06:42'][/quote]
    Thanks for writing, Bob, but I don't think that's the problem. I personally think that this whole business of flash cards must be a flaky technology for the web is FULL of people with the same write protect problem. I've seen lots of suggestions, including someone who said he inserted a tiny screwdriver into his reader to get some "stubborn" metal thingie out of the way and his problem went away.

I don't think reader is the problem either. It's new, specifically built for SDHC and other formats, and READS the data from both my Treo card or the camera card. I can copy files FROM the card to the hard drive but not the reverse. Even inserting one of my two spare cards and immediately trying to create a new folder yields the write protection error.

Since this has happened more than once to me and with both SD and SDHC cards and my solution "seemed" to be giving full control permissions to everyone for that "drive" I'm not willing to give up just yet. This morning I went to the Kingston site to see if I could find a first hand FAQ or email someone for help. Well, they want everything but your grandmother's name just to ask a question, so I gave up.

Well, the gremlins have struck and now the blankety-blank card is now working! I disconnected the Epraizer reader from USB and was gonna go fashion a piece of cardboard wedge to stick in the thing to see if the "screwdriver guy's" trick with the screwdriver would work, sans screwdriver. Then I decided I don't have time just now, so I plugged the reader back in and, lo and behold, the doggone card WRITES a new folder just fine! So, does the trick answer seem to be to NOT leave the reader connected all the time? After I'm finished later today with my additions, I'm gonna unplug the reader and just leave it sitting until the next time.

Right now I'm going to my kindergarden grandson's final basketball game of the season and I'm glad to be in better spirits!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='764035' date='07-Mar-2009 07:48'][/quote]
    I hear ya Big Al, working is good. Logically speaking, the cardboard thingie makes a lot of sense. But I dare say that I haven't had any problems with the SD cards I have - but other than copying images from the camera SD and deleting the same (using the built in card reader on my laptop) via my import program I'm a pretty simple user.
    Hope your grandson's game was super - his last this season should be <g>.
    Have a good weekend.

Thanks
    Al, I know I'm late to the party, and this may have been mentioned elsewhere, but have you tried messing with the 'Lock' switch on the edge of your SD card? I just tried writing an .mp3 file to one of my SD cards with the switch set to 'unlock' and it wrote OK. I then tried writing another file with the switch set to 'Lock'. I got the following error message (in Vista).

[attachment=82874:Capture.JPG]

Just a thought...

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='765458' date='15-Mar-2009 00:05']... have you tried messing with the 'Lock' switch on the edge of your SD card? ...[/quote]
    Better late than never, so thanks for commenting, Paul. Yes I did mess with the lock because I thought maybe I was misunderstanding the meaning of that little triangle next to the word lock! But it was the same problem either way.

... does the trick answer seem to be to NOT leave the reader connected all the time? ...
    So. the solution seems to be to unplug the external USB card reader after each use. I just plugged it in again now and I can write to my Palm card just fine. That's the third or fourth test run since I made the post.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is just a (roughly) one month followup to say that ever since I decided to unplug the external card reader, I've NOT had any more trouble with my SDHC cards in either my camera or my smartphone. I've used both cards, in both directions, quite a number of times in the past month without a failure as I had previously.

So, MY conclusion is that somehow that USB external card reader doesn't like being left connected. What I won't know is whether the problem is "brand" specific or not.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    It's not a filename problem is it? Those cards are FAT or FAT16, with the restrictions that go with them. If your Barbershop is Goodbye My Coney Island Baby, that is a long filename.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='771478' date='20-Apr-2009 19:19']It's not a filename problem is it? Those cards are FAT or FAT16 ...[/quote]
    No, they're formatted FAT32, but one way or the other, that isn't the problem because the cards are all working with my existing "long filename" files since I learned to disconnect the card reader. Thanks for asking.