Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello and thanks for the great work on the Lounge! Once I figure it all out - I have to check the smileys!

In the meantime, I have two issues; one of which is causing the BSOD and I am so close to being done with this project. Two problems in Device Manager: 2 Network Adapters - one from the Linksys card installed with the proper driver and the other installed from the motherboard. Can I delete the one from the motherboard; is it needed for any purpose?

Problem no. 2 is in an area I am clueless - no laughing; this project (with your assistance) has taught me a lot! Thanks! Game Ports. I seem to have two. One generic one which is working fine - the I/O range is 201 and there are no conflicts. The other one is from the Audio card and the device can not find enough resources to use (Code 12.) I researched this and found out that I could change the first port so I did and it assigned itself to 209 with no conflict. When 201 was available, I couldn't assign it to game port two; no changes are able to be made there. I even tried deleting it even though it is the one I assume it's the one I'd want to keep from the sound card but it came back and shortly after that the
    BSOD appeared. Not the first time either. Earlier on when I was trying to resolve these two problems on my own.

Any suggestions? I tried again . . .

CS (should I mention that this is the nephew's computer and that mom was in last Saturday but she might be in this Sunday . . . )
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Ghandi

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Citsme' post='764003' date='07-Mar-2009 02:05']<snip>
    2 Network Adapters - one from the Linksys card installed with the proper driver and the other installed from the motherboard. Can I delete the one from the motherboard; is it needed for any purpose?
    <snip>[/quote]
    Problem 1: You could, but it would be found on the next start up anyhow. Disable the built-in NIC/LAN device on the motherboard from BIOS Setup. Usually it is found under Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration, or similar. Then you'll only use the add-on card that's installed and the mobo's NIC will not be found by Windows.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='764115' date='07-Mar-2009 19:08']Problem 1: You could, but it would be found on the next start up anyhow. Disable the built-in NIC/LAN device on the motherboard from BIOS Setup. Usually it is found under Advanced - Onboard Devices Configuration, or similar. Then you'll only use the add-on card that's installed and the mobo's NIC will not be found by Windows.[/quote]
    Thank you so much, Argus. I knew there had to be a way out of that one! Actually, it worked so well, I decided to disable the standard system game port the same way since the other one (C Media) keeps reappearing anyway and that should have made 201 available. The Game Port located on the C Media PCI Audio Device still cannot find enough resources (code 12.) How do I assign I/O 201 to it? As you might have guessed, this is a first . . .

Edit: Input/Output Range 0201 is listed under resource settings now but in the Conflicting Device List it states that:
    Input/Output Range 0201-0201 not available
    Mahatma Ghandi

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Citsme' post='764128' date='08-Mar-2009 03:48']<snip> I decided to disable the standard system game port the same way since the other one (C Media) keeps reappearing anyway and that should have made 201 available. The Game Port located on the C Media PCI Audio Device still cannot find enough resources (code 12.) How do I assign I/O 201 to it? As you might have guessed, this is a first . . .

Edit: Input/Output Range 0201 is listed under resource settings now but in the Conflicting Device List it states that:
    Input/Output Range 0201-0201 not available[/quote]
    One can tweak settings in BIOS or let the OS (Windows) do its thing; nowadays Windows is very capable, together with modern BIOS, I usually let Windows take care of business (it’s not, as you know, as in the old days with only a few IRQs and manual tweaks every now and then etc.). Though, as you did with the NIC and perhaps other things, there are sometimes some settings that need some small changes before an OS installation, to get everything neat and tidy.

Which device is the (Sound card) game port in conflict with? Identified in DM; Resources tab, Conflicting device list. Did I understand you correct that it’s not listed? It can be as we shall see, not mentioned, and the conflict about 201 wasn’t with the built in.

Have you tried to run the troubleshooter from inside the Device Manager (DM) (yes, I know, the Troubleshooting Wizards in XP are usually not so much of a help, but sometimes…)? In the device properties, on the General tab, click Troubleshoot. Depending on which device it is in conflict with, you perhaps can disable that other device.

You have disabled the built in game port in BIOS, correct? And removed the other one from DM and restarted (or did let DM run a hardware check)? But can't get an I/O address.

It is quite some time since I dealt with this. But I think that when Windows is installed, and later on at every start, the resources are distributed among the devices and it’s quite hard to change them with DM, so usually the easiest way when building is to start in BIOS and enable and disable the devices one want, then install Windows (and the OS is very capable to distribute them and share them if needed) and then .

BTW, maybe you know that you can get some general information, overview, (but not change) also via the System Information tool (Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Information, or run msinfo32), there is a Hardware Resources node with some info. Windows can and does share IRQs, so that’s no problem. You can also, more useful, change view in DM’s View menu, Resource views can be to some help.

How about the hardware, audio card and mobo; have you checked all information about jumpers and settings, if there are any? Sometimes, on some boards, the settings are assigned per card slot, thus if one move it to another slot, one can change resources or free resources, check the mobo user guide etc.

Also check that you have the latest driver for the audio card (and perhaps also the latest BIOS version, though that is really a “long shot”, since it’s a bit more risky to update, and above all doesn’t change much in this aspect, if it's the add on card that's at fault, but BIOS ver. is still there among things to know about).

But the error code 12 indicates conflict or wrong settings in BIOS, so it’s good that you did check that and disabled some. And as you maybe know the 201 is an old address, not used much I think.

If you can’t get it sorted with the above, such as:
    • Disable built in, in BIOS, remove audio/game in DM and let Windows find it and redistribute resources,
    • Perhaps try to disable some other if you find conflict device,
    • Or disable the “use automatic settings” check box in DM properties and change to another “Setting based on”.
    • Using updated drivers.
    It seems like you have to use the built in game port or get another audio card, perhaps. When I was on the final with this post I did a search and found this; a C-Media card, Windows XP, a conflict on 201 for the game port, and, as it seems, no solution :
    http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-x...ct-/109670.html

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you can’t get it sorted with the above, such as:
    • Disable built in, in BIOS, remove audio/game in DM and let Windows find it and redistribute resources,
    • Perhaps try to disable some other if you find conflict device,
    • Or disable the “use automatic settings” check box in DM properties and change to another “Setting based on”.
    • Using updated drivers.
    It seems like you have to use the built in game port or get another audio card, perhaps. When I was on the final with this post I did a search and found this; a C-Media card, Windows XP, a conflict on 201 for the game port, and, as it seems, no solution :
    http://www.computing.net/answers/win...t-/109670.html

Argus - thank you so much! The problem isn't quite solved the way I'd like but I tried your suggestions and read the post and it is what it is. Strange thing: couldn't find anything else on 0201 when I checked under I/O in Device Manager but being curious while I was in Resources by Type I looked all categories and I think under DMA it showed something regarding 0201 and the onboard sound card which I then disabled. Should have taken a screen shot; tried to enable it later to see if it would come back but it did not.
    I had downloaded the most current driver for the audio card and installed it. After enabling the onboard game port on 209 (no conflict) and the second game port on 201 (still with the problem) I ran the software again to make sure the game port had the most up to date driver and when the software was through, the game port from the audio card is gone. I have the system game port on 201 and no conflicts. I remember my nephew telling me he needed the CD for the sound card when it screwed up. I'll have to try to get more details.
    Question: How much of a difference is there between the system game port and the audio card game port? I believe it has been set up for years with the audio card game port but I can't be sure.
    Thank you, again. I miss our old smileys!
    Cherie
    Mahatma Ghandi