Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Office Updates

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    I have MS Office 2007 Home and Student which came installed on my computer.
    I have no issues with it so far and it seems to be working fine but I have not updated recently. I used to have Windows Update set to check for updates for OFfice as well untill I had to do a Factory Image reinstall after a bunch of updates boxed up my computer. Office Updates were among the ones that might have been problematic, but I never did figure out which one or ones caused the problem.
    Anyway, Office Diagnostics says there are updates available but I dont' know which ones. I hesitate to punch the update button and download anything til I know what it is and have had a chance to research.

So.. is it a case of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', or are there security issues related to not downloading updates as there are with IE and Windows?

Thanks
    Peppurr

[attachment=82711:Capture.JPG]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I always install Windows and Office updates immediately after their release and I haven't had any problems with them recently.

You can go to Microsoft Update and click Custom to see which updates are available; you can decide which ones you want to install.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='764054' date='07-Mar-2009 15:16']I always install Windows and Office updates immediately after their release and I haven't had any problems with them recently.

You can go to Microsoft Update and click Custom to see which updates are available; you can decide which ones you want to install.[/quote]

Hi Hans,
    Thanks for your reply.
    !!! I went to Windows Update and set it to look for 'other programs' updates and came up with 20!! updates for Office! Yikes!!
    Just wondering where I should start and which, if any, to avoid?
    Thanks
    Peppurr

[attachment=82715:Capture.JPG]

Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='764085' date='07-Mar-2009 14:33']Hi Hans,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Do you get your Office updates through Windows Update or from the MS website itself?
    I checked the Microsoft Update site and it looks like it wants to install something on top of my Windows Update before I get to the page where I review any available updates.
    Is this normal? It almost looks like it wants to install Windows update again..
    Thanks
    Peppurr[/quote]

From time to time, MS will have an update to it's Updates program, so they won't allow you to go any further unless you do the Update-Update.
    Go for it.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='764086' date='07-Mar-2009 19:45']From time to time, MS will have an update to it's Updates program, so they won't allow you to go any further unless you do the Update-Update.
    Go for it.[/quote]

Thanks Viking33
    I went for it.. oh boy did I..
    I edited my post above.. 20 updates for Office yikes!

Does anyone know if there are any stinkers among these? I'd like to know before I go wild updating..

BTW, I think the recommended updates from November were among the updates that may have caused me trouble with my computer back then..
    Thanks
    Peppurr

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='764088' date='07-Mar-2009 20:56'][/quote]
    I don't know of any serious problems with recent Office updates, so I'd install them all. MS Update creates a restore point before installing them, so you can always go back if something goes wrong, but I don't expect you'll need to use the restore point.

Thanks
    Best way to do it, is to take just a few at a time to see if there are any bad effects. That way you can more or less pin point which hotfix is giving you trouble.
    You can also set a Restore Point before each group to give yourself a little peace of mind.

As Hans mentioned, he hasn't had any adverse effects from these updates.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='764090' date='07-Mar-2009 20:02']Best way to do it, is to take just a few at a time to see if there are any bad effects. That way you can more or less pin point which hotfix is giving you trouble.
    You can also set a Restore Point before each group to give yourself a little peace of mind.

As Hans mentioned, he hasn't had any adverse effects from these updates.[/quote]

Even the ones from 2007? I haven't even had the computer for that long.. geezzz...

Anyway.. will do.. guess I'll start with the SP..
    Wish me luck
    and thanks for replying..
    Peppurr..

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='764093' date='07-Mar-2009 14:10'][/quote]

I'd install SP-1 first by itself. Then have Windows Update check again. Most of the fixes released prior to SP-1 should not be offered again.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='764096' date='07-Mar-2009 20:36']I'd install SP-1 first by itself. Then have Windows Update check again. Most of the fixes released prior to SP-1 should not be offered again.

Joe[/quote]

Hi Joe..
    I did install SP1 lst night and you were right. All the 07 updates went away when I rechecked.
    The SP was a monster. 193MB. Bigger than Vista SP1

I will now install the remaining updates a few at a time. Will let you know how it goes..
    Thank you for your help.
    Peppurr

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='764137' date='08-Mar-2009 08:05']Hi Joe..
    I did install SP1 lst night and you were right. All the 07 updates went away when I rechecked.
    The SP was a monster. 193MB. Bigger than Vista SP1

I will now install the remaining updates a few at a time. Will let you know how it goes..
    Thank you for your help.
    Peppurr[/quote]

Hello all,
    I have been looking at the remaining updates and I have one more question..
    KB946691 Update for Microsoft Update System dated 8th of April 2008 is one of the updates that came through after I installed Office SP1.
    I found this Microsoft Support which seems to indicate that I only need to download this update if I am having a problem installing SP1 which I've done already without a hitch.
    It is also dated prior to SP1.

It seems to me hiding this update would be reasonable?
    I love Windows Update.. such a challenge..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='764146' date='08-Mar-2009 10:52']I love Windows Update.. such a challenge..[/quote]
    I find Windows Update really easy. I just install all the patches it recommends as soon as it suggests them. I've never had a problem and my PC is always up to date. I can't imagine anything easier than that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='764152' date='08-Mar-2009 11:33']I find Windows Update really easy. I just install all the patches it recommends as soon as it suggests them. I've never had a problem and my PC is always up to date. I can't imagine anything easier than that.[/quote]

Hi Stuart,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I used to let Windows Update do it's thing automatically until last November. My computer shut down after an update and when I went to resetart, it would freeze when I went to log in. I couldn't system restore, or repair, with the disc, without the disc.
    Luckily I had backed up most of my photos and music because I had to do a Factory Image Reinstall which set the computer back 11 months to when I bought it.
    Having ruled out hardware issues, and other changes (I hadn't made any between the one day and the next apart from the updates) the only thing left was the last batch of updates before it crashed.
    Since then I do update regularly, but selectively. I read Woody's recommendations, both here on his news updates and in his books to let Windows Update look for updates but not install th em til I research them.
    So far I've come across several I don't need, and at least 2 that were aimed at XP, not Vista.
    I've had no issues with my computer since then.

I had no problem at all for 11 months, then wham!

I reeeealy don't want to do that again..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='764164' date='08-Mar-2009 13:32']I reeeealy don't want to do that again..[/quote]
    I don't blame you. I haven't had a problem like this with Windows Update, but I have with occassional software installations.

The way I avoid disasters like this affecting me is to take an image backup of my PC every week, and store all of my data on a different hard drive to the Operating System and Applications. Once every one or two years I have to restore the previous weekend's backup - but this only takes about half an hour and leaves all of my data intact.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='764199' date='08-Mar-2009 19:52']I don't blame you. I haven't had a problem like this with Windows Update, but I have with occassional software installations.

The way I avoid disasters like this affecting me is to take an image backup of my PC every week, and store all of my data on a different hard drive to the Operating System and Applications. Once every one or two years I have to restore the previous weekend's backup - but this only takes about half an hour and leaves all of my data intact.[/quote]

Hi Stuart,
    Fortunately I have most of my hard work stuff, pictures and music, backed up.. it was just a pain to have to download all the updates again as well as reload all my software but at least I didn't have to reinstall!
    Office is working at the mo' and I don't use it all that much so I think I will do the updates slowly. I'm an 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' sorta person but I do admit I do play around with stuff sometimes

Thanks for your reply..
    Peppurr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast