Thread: Tagging Photos

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I really like using Windows Live Photo Gallery. I have Photoshop but I use WLPG for almost all of the basics, organizing, red eye removal, cropping, basic picture adjustment, etc.

I like the idea of tagging my photos and it is fairly easy to use. I have found a lot of guides that tell me how to tag photos, what I am looking for is something that will describe a good system of tagging. I am well organized, I think, in that I have my photos stored in directories according to the event but do I also want to tag these photos with the type of event? For example, even though I store pictures of Johnny's birthday in a folder titled YYYY_M_D Johnnys Birthday, do I also want to tag each of the photos as Birthday, Johnnys Birthday YYYY Johnnys Birthday, along with People Tags for each of the people shown in the photo.

Also, when adding people tags, should I be tagging every person in the photo? Again, for example, it's pretty straightforward if it is a picture of Johnny, that I would tag it Johnny. However, if it is a picture of Johnny opening his presents and there are a whole bunch of other kids in the picture, should I be tagging it with everyone's name. I don't mind doing it that way, I just don't want to go crazy.

What I am really looking for is a system of using tagging, not just a how to. Has anyone seen that or know where I could find such a document? I could probably come up with something on my own but why if someone has already done it. Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What program are you using to do your tagging?

All of the TAGGING I have tried was a waste of my time. You had to use that same program every time to grab or view the tags. This will zero one in on using the same product. Some I have tried even went to "Ol Bit Heaven" and never heard of again. I feel the best method of tagging will be a sub set of Windows Explorer and would be embedded within the "Metadata" of the photo. This would allow any "Metadata" compliant OS read the tagging. Most programs are are using a separate data file that must be kept or the data is lost.

Now back to you question, every product I have used had different suggested methods. It is going to be the same as your method of naming folders, "What makes since to you and is usable to you". There is NO perfect method.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='764095' date='07-Mar-2009 12:22']What I am really looking for is a system of using tagging, not just a how to. Has anyone seen that or know where I could find such a document? I could probably come up with something on my own but why if someone has already done it.[/quote]
    Since tags are used primarily to find photos, I suggest creating the tags that you predict you might later want to use to find photos that you can't conveniently locate by the name of the album and/or, if you have captions, by the caption. This probably means a lot fewer tags than if you meticulously catalog every location, subject matter, person, and so forth. Of course, if you can't conveniently search album names, captions, and tags together, then maybe it's worth doing a lot more tagging...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am primarily using Windows Live Photo Gallery. It does 80 - 90% of what I need to do with photos. I also have Photo Shop Elements for the things that it doesn't do.

When I add description tags in WLPG, they are carried over to PSE, however the people tags don't appear to be, they also don't work in Picasa. That's why I am approaching tagging cautiously. I don't want to spend lots of time doing it and find that it only works in the one place. I am careful about keeping my photos in folders. I use a system where I use the date (YYYY_M_D) and then an event description for the folder. Yes, I am aware that the photos are dated but this helps to keep everything in order chronologically, at least in my mind.

I'm quite sure that I won't find the perfect system from someone else but seeing how other people use tagging may lead me to develop my own method. One of the things that I want to use it to accomplish is this. I work at a church, in charge of children's programs. I also volunteer with the Senior High youth. At the end of the year, we have a luncheon honoring these students, where we also show a slideshow. I have pictures of them when they were in elementary school, some, even before that. I would like to be able to pull up these pictures and include them in the slideshow, so having them tagged ahead of time, would really help, although it is a big project. I am also finding that I don't remember everyone, especially the older pictures, so being able to mark them when they are created, without having to put everything in an album, would be a good way to do that. I'm trying to avoid the shoe box syndrome, where you find a shoe box full of photos and have no idea who or when they were.

If anyone knows of some examples of systems for doing this, that would be great. Thanks.

Thanks
    [quote name='donebb' post='764942' date='11-Mar-2009 15:00']When I add description tags in WLPG, they are carried over to PSE, however the people tags don't appear to be, they also don't work in Picasa.[/quote]
    When you open the image in PS Elements, where are the tags listed (what field)?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In PhotoShop Elements 6, the descriptive tag (from WLPG) appears as "Imported Keyword Tags".