Thread: .NET3 (I think)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just read Woody's update on installing latest patches from MS and found a Q & A on one patch for .NET3 (I think!) that prompted this post. Woody said that you should remove NET from your system if you never use it or patch it. I've never patched it (patches set for me to be notified and decide which to install) because I don't know what it is or does and so don't think I use it.

Could someone tell me what it is, if I need it and where I find it to remove if I don't need it?

Many thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='764178' date='08-Mar-2009 08:49']Just read Woody's update on installing latest patches from MS and found a Q & A on one patch for .NET3 (I think!) that prompted this post. Woody said that you should remove NET from your system if you never use it or patch it. I've never patched it (patches set for me to be notified and decide which to install) because I don't know what it is or does and so don't think I use it.

Could someone tell me what it is, if I need it and where I find it to remove if I don't need it?

Many thanks,[/quote]
    Is this of any help?
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='764178' date='08-Mar-2009 15:49']Just read Woody's update on installing latest patches from MS and found a Q & A on one patch for .NET3 (I think!) that prompted this post. Woody said that you should remove NET from your system if you never use it or patch it. I've never patched it (patches set for me to be notified and decide which to install) because I don't know what it is or does and so don't think I use it.

Many thanks,[/quote]

Hi IreneLinda,
    Woody has a short article about that on his askWoody dot com page (see the latest ariticle about .NET and the comments underneath.
    He basically says if you have it and you have no problems, just leave it. As for the patches, see here
    Hope that helps
    Peppurr

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='766161' date='19-Mar-2009 08:46']Hi IreneLinda,
    Woody has a short article about that on his askWoody dot com page (see the latest ariticle about .NET and the comments underneath.
    He basically says if you have it and you have no problems, just leave it. As for the patches, see here
    Hope that helps
    Peppurr[/quote]
    Yes, thanks Peppurr and Charlotte. I now know better what it is and the answer to my question. I am just going to leave it alone as we don't use it and don't think it (or its lack of patching!) has caused any issues. Appreciate the links for more info, too.

Linda

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IreneLinda' post='766224' date='19-Mar-2009 15:54']Yes, thanks Peppurr and Charlotte. I now know better what it is and the answer to my question. I am just going to leave it alone as we don't use it and don't think it (or its lack of patching!) has caused any issues. Appreciate the links for more info, too.

Linda [/quote]

You're welcome, Linda.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I see no harm in keeping it on your system. And financial programs like Quick Books and Turbo Tax use the .NET Framework to do their jobs. If you want to save space, you could uninstall .NET Frameworks prior to 3.5. And you really do not need the full installation - just the runtime installation, which you can find here.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/netframework.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The runtime installation is significantly smaller than the full installation.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='theUnGuru' post='792590' date='08-Sep-2009 20:51']The runtime installation is significantly smaller than the full installation.[/quote]
    Thanks for the additional information and the link! It sounds like a good compromise position. Hadn't realized that Quick Books uses it and we do plan to get and use that program next year.

Linda