5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello -

When I click an attachment, a popup asks “What should Firefox do with his file…” Is there a way to directly open the attachment? If I check “Do this automatically for files like this………” is that universal for all sites ( which I wouldn’t want)?

Thanks much

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='764182' date='08-Mar-2009 12:03']Hello -

When I click an attachment, a popup asks "What should Firefox do with his file…" Is there a way to directly open the attachment? If I check "Do this automatically for files like this………" is that universal for all sites ( which I wouldn't want)?

Thanks much[/quote]
    I'm certainly not an expert on this but I do think that's a browser issue and what plugins you have installed as well as your browser settings, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with the Lounge software. And yes, I also think that if you tell the browser to always do a certain thing, it will most likely be for all sites. That's why, whenever I can, I always choose "Ask Me Every time" so I get to make an individual decision.

All of the above based on experience, not expert testimony...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='764182' date='08-Mar-2009 17:03'][/quote]
    In addition to Al's reply: I think it also has to do with the setting for "Confirm open after download" for a given extension in the File Types tab of Tools | Folder Options in Windows Explorer. If this check box is ticked (which I recommend!), you'll be asked what to do with the file, and if it's clear, the file will be opened.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (9.9 KB, 0 views)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to Al's reply: I think it also has to do with the setting for "Confirm open after download" for a given extension in the File Types tab of Tools | Folder Options in Windows Explorer. If this check box is ticked (which I recommend!), you'll be asked what to do with the file, and if it's clear, the file will be opened.

Thanks to you both. Hans, I do have "Confirm open after download" ticked.

And Al, I've looked around the Firefox settings and I don't see anything that strikes me as pertaining to this issue. Will keep investigating and report back if I spot something.

Acer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='764216' date='08-Mar-2009 16:45']And Al, I've looked around the Firefox settings and I don't see anything that strikes me as pertaining to this issue.[/quote]
    Here's something of what I had in mind. It's not an easy issue to get straightened to your satisfaction.

[attachment=82733:2009_03_08_165027.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for directing me to the right place to look. However, I did not have any of your 4 encircled apps. I tried to give you a print screen of my apps, but could only get one-third of them at a time to show up and thought that would be too confusing.

Acer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='764227' date='08-Mar-2009 17:16']Thanks for directing me to the right place to look. However, I did not have any of your 4 encircled apps. I tried to give you a print screen of my apps, but could only get one-third of them at a time to show up and thought that would be too confusing.

Acer[/quote]
    Not necessary. I only meant my attachment as an example. You have to "make" Fx understand what you want done with EACH type of file, so yes, the list will be long and build over time, probably.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Al!

I noticed that in Applications tab of Fx, Microsoft Word Docs had "use Foxit...". I clicked the drop-down menu and chose "Use Microsoft Word" Even though it indicated that was the default, somehow Foxit overrode that.

When I now click on an Attachment, an intermediary screen flashes so fast I can't make out what it is, but then the file does open directly in Word.

So, again, thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I never knew what the Applications tab was for, so for that, too, I thank you.

Acer

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='764232' date='08-Mar-2009 15:02']When I now click on an Attachment, an intermediary screen flashes so fast I can't make out what it is, but then the file does open directly in Word.[/quote]
    If a link launches in a new window, but Firefox realizes after it has opened the window that actually the content is to be handled by an external program, Firefox will immediately close the window. That could explain the "flash" you're seeing.