5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, I'm still using the last version of Firefox 2 primarily because Bookmark Duplicator Detector doesn't work fully with Firefox 3. I like the way it catches duplicate bookmarks and offers to move them or allow a copy. What extensions do people using Firefox use for managing bookmarks? Anything that allows duplicates? I guess I ought to upgrade Firefox because of security considerations but for me the new version seems to bring more drawbacks than advantages.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Cah' post='764184' date='08-Mar-2009 17:08']Hello, I'm still using the last version of Firefox 2 primarily because Bookmark Duplicator Detector doesn't work fully with Firefox 3. I like the way it catches duplicate bookmarks and offers to move them or allow a copy. What extensions do people using Firefox use for managing bookmarks? Anything that allows duplicates? <snip>[/quote]
    I don't use any extensions for bookmarks any more, I used one for a while with Fx 2 as a complement, see end of post.

I don't know how many bookmarks I have, perhaps around 1100-1200. With the move to Fx 3, I now also see if a page I visit is already bookmarked; the star turns yellow. Then there is already a bookmark for that page, and if I want to know where it is stored, I just click the star and it will show me where I put it.

And with that system going, it's hard to miss and add a duplicate; and removing any unwanted duplicates should not be that difficult and only needed to be done once.

Speaking about bookmarks; this was a handy extension for Fx 2: Locate in Bookmark Folders, it's not upgraded. Mentioned by Quarantine in Post 676451.

Thanks
    [quote name='Cah' post='764184' date='08-Mar-2009 09:08']What extensions do people using Firefox use for managing bookmarks?[/quote]
    The only time I think about managing bookmarks is when the menu gets so long that it no longer fits on the screen.

The way the Fx3 location bar works is a little disorienting the first month or so, since it wildcard searches your history and your bookmarks, but after a while, it feels normal and other browsers seem hard to use.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='764187' date='08-Mar-2009 18:02']I don't know how many bookmarks I have, perhaps around 1100-1200. With the move to Fx 3, I now also see if a page I visit is already bookmarked; the star turns yellow. Then there is already a bookmark for that page, and if I want to know where it is stored, I just click the star and it will show me where I put it.[/quote]
    Thanks, any easy way to add duplicates - some bookmarks I like to have in more than one place.

Chris,

P.S Does this new board not send emails when a reply is posted? Never got an email about replies t this thread.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='764242' date='08-Mar-2009 23:59']The only time I think about managing bookmarks is when the menu gets so long that it no longer fits on the screen.

The way the Fx3 location bar works is a little disorienting the first month or so, since it wildcard searches your history and your bookmarks, but after a while, it feels normal and other browsers seem hard to use.[/quote]

Thanks - is that the "awesome" bar? I'm pretty sure I would disable it. I never conduct searches via the address bar. I use the all-in-one side bar extension and usually have either history or bookmarks showing.

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Cah' post='764597' date='10-Mar-2009 15:37']P.S Does this new board not send emails when a reply is posted? Never got an email about replies t this thread.[/quote]
    Make sure that the check box "Enable email notification of replies?" above the Add Reply button is ticked. You can have it ticked automatically by selecting the appropriate options in Email Settings in your Controls.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='764613' date='10-Mar-2009 16:18']Make sure that the check box "Enable email notification of replies?" above the Add Reply button is ticked. You can have it ticked automatically by selecting the appropriate options in Email Settings in your Controls.[/quote]

Thanks, Hans. I should have thought to check whether my old settings had been kept. I made the change you suggested.

Cheers,

Chris