5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    XP is now taking forever to get started. It seems I have to wait 10 minutes for the PC to settle down and let me work. In the meantime, I'm clicking on icons and making the problem worse with a queue of commands. What should I do to/how should I go about removing all the extraneous programs that must be running and get the system to start more "cleanly" I can then select what I want to run. TYIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='764249' date='09-Mar-2009 00:47']XP is now taking forever to get started. It seems I have to wait 10 minutes for the PC to settle down and let me work. In the meantime, I'm clicking on icons and making the problem worse with a queue of commands. What should I do to/how should I go about removing all the extraneous programs that must be running and get the system to start more "cleanly" I can then select what I want to run. TYIA[/quote]
    You might take a look at the free Startup Delayer utility mentioned in [topic="761129"]this topic[/topic].

Thanks
    You can Dl and install AUTORUNS to get a good look at just what is starting up on your system, Then selectively uncheck certain ones to try to find what is causing the slow start up. If your choice is wrong you can go back in and check the items to put them back in the starting lineup.

Alternatively, you can go to Start>Run and type "msconfig" ( without the quotes ) to view some of the startups and temporarily disable them to test.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Torquemada' post='764249' date='09-Mar-2009 00:47']<snip> What should I do to/how should I go about removing all the extraneous programs that must be running and get the system to start more "cleanly" I can then select what I want to run. TYIA[/quote]
    That is not normal, as you already know. You have to take look at what's installed and which of those are running at start up.

Take a look at this thread.