Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The March 5 edition of Windows Secrets described a security problem associated with the AutoRun feature. It referred to a fix in MSKB 967715. I had already installed the fix from Windows Update a few weeks ago. However, I decided to check the registry key mentioned in the article.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer

The article goes on to indicate "In the right pane, double-click NoDriveTypeAutoRun, enter 0xFF in the "Value data" field, make sure Hexadecimal is selected under Base, click OK, and exit the Registry Editor."

However, I did NOT find this key in my registry. In addition to (Default), the only other key was HonorAutoRunSetting with a value of 0x00000001.

As a test, I took out and then reinserted my Thumb Drive. Up popped the AutoPlay (not AutoRun) window. The Windows Secrets article did mention a difference between the two, although this was not very clear.

Any ideas on what's going on?

TIA

Fred

PS: Is the new Lounge operational? I haven't received any email lately. I tried to check my Board subscriptions but didn't see anything - no list.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='fburg' post='764356' date='09-Mar-2009 14:33']PS: Is the new Lounge operational? I haven't received any email lately. I tried to check my Board subscriptions but didn't see anything - no list.[/quote]
    Please ask questions about the Lounge in Lounge Matters. Thank you.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='fburg' post='764356' date='09-Mar-2009 08:33'][/quote]

It is not unusual for a registry key to not be present. That is the same as having the key set with a value of zero. That state (i.e. no key) could be a function of the version of XP or an OEM configuration setting. The How to correct "disable Autorun registry key" enforcement in Windows article states that the HonorAutorunSetting is the only value created by the patch. So, if the NoDriveTypeAutoRun did not exist it would not be created. You can create it and set it to the value you need.

Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='fburg' post='764356' date='09-Mar-2009 13:33']However, I did NOT find this key in my registry. In addition to (Default), the only other key was HonorAutoRunSetting with a value of 0x00000001.[/quote]
    That's exactly what I found on the 25-odd PCs at work, so I just wrote a REG ADD command in a BATch file to add the required value on each PC and set the REG_DWORD to 0xFF.
    (At home I found I had probably played with this months ago, since it was a REG_BINARY field!)

The line I used (note that this is ALL on one line, and may show wrapped) was:
    Code:
    reg add "\\%pcname%\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer" /v NoDriveTypeAutoRun /t REG_DWORD /d 0xFF /f
    For just one PC remove \\%pcname%\ from the front, so that it starts with HKLM\
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...