Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Folks,

Has anyone else had any problem with the last Windows update 967715, that updates the AutoRun feature?

It tries to download and install every time I log on to my PC (XPS 410, Windows XP, SP-3). It wants me to re-boot, which I do, and the yellow shield goes away, but when I boot up the next day, the little yellow shield is back telling me to d/l & install the same update. This has been going on for a couple of weeks now. I don't really want to turn off AutoRun but I would like to be able to dismiss this once and for all.

All other updates d/l & install perfectly. I even went to Microsoft download center and downloaded and installed this update manually, but the next boot up, it's back. I checked the control panel to see if it was included in the updates after I d/l & installed and all the other updates are there but not this one. So even though it says that it installed, it didn't.

Any ideas on what's going on here?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='ELB01' post='764380' date='09-Mar-2009 15:49'][/quote]
    I found a suggestion to turn off the runtime component of anti-virus and anti-spyware software temporarily while installing the update (it's usually named something like LiveProtect, AutoProtect or RealTime Protection). Don't forget to turn it on again afterwards!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two replies dissappeared. Don't know why.
    Thanks Hans.

For others with the same problem. This thread nails it.
    http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19260723.aspx