3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Windows XP Professional SP3. I have several keyboard shortcuts that launch databases, spreadsheets, etc., right off the desktop. That used to work great, but the last several weeks it has been freezing temporarily (I've never timed it, I would guess sometimes it was 10-15 seconds). That is very frustrating especially with a fast machine. Dell OptiPlex 755 2.2Ghz, 2GB RAM. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='79schultz' post='764458' date='09-Mar-2009 15:19'][/quote]

What has changed recently? Updated anti-virus software? Added any other real time malware detection? Any hardware or significant software updates?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only thing that I can think of right off is some search software called "Everything".

http://www.voidtools.com/

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='79schultz' post='764472' date='09-Mar-2009 15:52'][/quote]

Can you temporarily disable it and see if that changes anything?

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I disabled it and made sure there were no processes running and it made no difference. It appears like this delay happens most often if the computer has been idle for a little bit. For example, I have a shortcut combination that opens my Gmail account and logs in. I partially timed it, it took more than 10 seconds to open. But, once Gmail had opened, I used my combination to open an Access database and it worked instantly. Thanks for any help, I'm going to keep troubleshooting myself.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I disabled it and made sure there were no processes running and it made no difference. It appears like this delay happens most often if the computer has been idle for a little bit. For example, I have a shortcut combination that opens my Gmail account and logs in. I partially timed it, it took more than 10 seconds to open. But, once Gmail had opened, I used my combination to open an Access database and it worked instantly. Thanks for any help, I'm going to keep troubleshooting myself.

I just tried opening Access a minute ago and it did it again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='79schultz' post='764482' date='09-Mar-2009 16:18'][/quote]

What software are you using to manage your hotkeys? Have you run any malware scans recently?

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='79schultz' post='764482' date='09-Mar-2009 22:18'][/quote]
    Can you check the Processes tab of Task Manager to see if there is a process that consumes CPU power during these delays? Is it just the application being started, or something else too?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>What software are you using to manage your hotkeys? Have you run any malware scans recently?

Just using Windows regular hotkeys. Ran a malware scan 4-5 days ago.

>>Can you check the Processes tab of Task Manager to see if there is a process that consumes CPU power during these delays? Is it just the application being started, or something else too?

I just finished rebooting and it seems to be fine now. I checked the processes while loading the apps, and didn't see anything extraordinary. I'll keep trying to pinpoint the symptoms and when it happens, then I might post back again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='79schultz' post='764486' date='09-Mar-2009 16:27'][/quote]

Sometimes malware does a very good job at disguising itself. YOu could try using Autoruns for Windows to see what is really starting when you boot. It is an excellent free tool.

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='79schultz' post='764482' date='09-Mar-2009 17:18']... happens most often if the computer has been idle for a little bit ...[/quote]
    Way out in left field probably. Do you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse? If so you might open Device Manager and make sure the permission to put USB devices to sleep is un-ticked in all the Root Hub entries. It helped me a lot with printer and scanner problems.

[attachment=82755:2009_03_10_064935.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, BigAl; I followed your suggestion, turned that option off on all USB ports and right now it seems to work fine. I'll keep monitoring it. Thanks!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='764558' date='10-Mar-2009 05:53']Way out in left field probably. Do you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse? If so you might open Device Manager and make sure the permission to put USB devices to sleep is un-ticked in all the Root Hub entries. It helped me a lot with printer and scanner problems.

[attachment=82755:2009_03_10_064935.png][/quote]

Hello. Me back again. This may be premature, but I was still having problems and have been searching for answers as I have time. I ran across this site http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/...scheme-fix.html and followed the instructions there. At this point it seems like that took care of my problem. I downloaded some software recently, can't even remember what it was called, but it changed power settings supposedly to save on your final energy bill. I uninstalled it within a day or two, but it messed with Windows Power Configuration settings. I will continue to monitor it, but I think this may be my problem.