2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just received a new workstation at work, which has IE7 (build 7.0.5730.13) as the installed browser. (Please don't post that I should be using Firefox - I have no choice in this!!).

My home PC also uses IE7 as the browser - probably the same build, as I have automatic updates enabled, but I am typing this at work so can't check.... (Again - please don't post that I should be using Firefox at home. I know I should! I just haven't got round to it yet, okay?!).

So to my query:-

There are 2 search functions available on my work pc which I am finding incredibly useful, and I would like to install/enable them on my home pc. But despite trying, I have been unable to do so.

1 - 1-click Google Searching

When loading a body of text on a web page, I can highlight a particular word, or group of words (eg. Financial Services Authority), then right click, whereupon one of the options in the dropdown list is a Google symbol, followed by Search for "Financial Services Authority..."

Clicking this option launches Google, and runs a search for Financial Services Authority all in one mouse-click.

On my home pc I have Google set as the default search engine in the IE7, and I have installed Google Toolbar on the machine, which I thought was the add-on I needed, but still no luck. The only vaguely relevant option if I highlight some words in a body of text in a web page on my home pc, and right click, is something to do with MSN, (can't remember the exact wording) but even that doesn't do an MSN search and I never use MSN anyway....

2 - Google Translating

On my new work pc, if I load a webpage in a foreign language, and right click anywhere on that page, there is a new option (well one I haven't seen before) called Page Info. Selecting Page Info, I get an option to "Translate this page into English", which again I find incredibly useful, not least because it preserves the page format. (Previously I had been block copying a body of text, opening Google, opening Translation tools, pasting the text into the text box, selecting (say) Spanish to English, and clicking Translate. (Please don't laugh if I had been doing it all wrong!).

Anyway, obviously the new Page Info way is much much quicker and easier, and I would like to enable this on my home pc. But I don't know how to....

Any help with either or both of these would be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='neil' post='764584' date='10-Mar-2009 14:47'][/quote]
    Make sure that you have the latest version of the Google toolbar at home (available from http://toolbar.google.com)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='neil' post='764584' date='10-Mar-2009 08:47'][/quote]

I've never found any compelling reason to switch browsers. For me, multiple layers of defense and reasonable browsing habits provide adequate protection. I've never seen anything that would cause me to say "I've got have browser X on my system". I don't need to download and install yet another piece of software that may cause more issues for me.

BTW, on several systems at work I do have and use multiple browsers to test various things. My experience at work is why I don't bother changing browsers at home. And my primary browser at work is IE.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans

I only dowloaded Toolbar last week for my home machine, so I'm sure it must be the latest version.

Do you know whether both the functions I have described are part of Google Toolbar?

Thanks

Neil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='neil' post='764596' date='10-Mar-2009 15:33'][/quote]
    Both are mentioned in Google Toolbar Features.
    See if you can enable these features in the Google Toolbar settings.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='neil' post='764596' date='10-Mar-2009 09:33'][/quote]

If you are going to continue to use IE at home you should look at Windows Internet Explorer 8: Home page. It is currently in the last part of public testing (IE8 RC1). One of the new features for IE8 is something Microsoft is calling Accelerators which is context menu activities. There is a gallery of IE addons at Accelerators - Add-ons Gallery.

Note: if you choose to install IE8 RC1 you may have to uninstall it when IE8 is officially released.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    There is an entire page of Google Translation Options HERE

You might also find a Search Option by clicking on Google Tools>Custom Buttons and\or ADD More Buttons
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for your replies, everybody!

Last night I re-installed Google toolbar, and after tweaking a few settings and signing my life, all my future earnings and privacy over to Google (aka enabling translate), I have managed to get both these features working on my home machine.

Cheers!

Neil