HOWARD_MCDONALD

Reset Toolbar Display Options (97 Sr-2, 00, 02)

Hello and thanks for any help,

We run a computer lab for students. We're finding that many of the options get set to a student's prefs and must be reset later. I designed a simple macro to do it automatically but can not figure out toolbars.

For example, when in table design view, how can I set it so the Table Design toolbar is active but the Web toolbar is not, etc for each object/view down the line? I have seen several pieces on toolbar activation specific to a certain report or form, but nothing about how to get Access to behave as if it just came out of the box and had not ever been used.

Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot.

Howard McDonald

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reset Toolbar Display Options (97 Sr-2, 00, 02)

The Web toolbar tends to get displayed if a user inserts a hyperlink into a database. As for the rest, try a Lounge search on commandbar or toolbar for threads on manipulating Access commandbars.
    Charlotte

HOWARD_MCDONALD

Thank you for the suggestion.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howard, I got this recommendation from somewhere. Probably this forum.

Create a module that contains the following:

Public Function WebToolBar()

DoCmd.ShowToolbar "Web", acToolbarNo

End Function

Place a Call WebToolBar in the OnOpen event of your forms and the Web Tool Bar will not be visible. If you have a start up form for the database (a Switchboard), place the Call WebToolBar in that form.

You can also add other tool bars to this Public Function.

HOWARD_MCDONALD

Lonnie,

Thanks for the suggestion. Can I get a little clarification?

The settings I want aren't tied to a specific database - instead, they are tied to the Access application. The students come in to work on different DB assignments for their courses and in the process of doing so, they activate the toolbars and options they like. When they leave that workstation, they do not reset those options and toolbars.

So a student comes in and turns on the Web toolbar then leaves. The next student who comes in fires up Access and the Web toolbar is still in view.

I would like Acces to "reset" so the default toolbar display settings are in place, as if Access had just been installed clean. While not a big deal, it would be nice to be able to reset Access to default settings at the end of each student session.

I have already written the simple code to reset the options but can't figure out how to display/hide a toolbar depending on the working context. My plan was to put this in an Add-in that could be run anytime Access was open - click the menu option and all of the options are reset automatically.

I hacked together a similar add-in for Excel and am working on ones for Word and PP, but the various working environments (design/normal view, table/form/query/etc) and the toolbars associated with them have stumped me on Access (that and not being able to record stuff, my biggest crutch).

Can I implement your suggestion on the application and not a specific db/table/form, etc?

Thanks for reading this far and any additional help you might provide.

Howard.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Howard, have you tried the Tools|Startup box? You may be able to over ride the student changes there. If not, why not create a splash screen (just an introduction form that opens when the Access application opens that could say "Hi, you are using Access") and place the Call to the module that controls the toolbars. That way, Access would act like what you want.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open a module in Access and bring up help. Use the Find tab and type in ChangeProperty. That will get you to an article and examples of settings properties, including menubars, at startup for A97. For A2000, type Startup property in the Answer Wizard, and you'll get a list that includes Startup Properties Example.
    Charlotte