4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an Outlook 2000 file that has just hit the 2Gb limit. I have been able to use the ScanPst.exe to fix the errors in the file.

Now I have been deleting items to try to make it smaller, but don't seem to be having any effect. If I close Outlook and look at the size of the file through Windows Explorer, it is still showing the 2Gb size.

I know that in 2003 I can go to File and then File Management. Is there a similar function in the 2000 version?

Johanna

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='764764' date='11-Mar-2009 18:12']See How to compact PST files in Outlook 2000.[/quote]

Thank you Hans,

You are worth more money!!

You know, I thought that I looked everywhere and could not find that. But then I didn't go that little bit further to see what was under that option.

Johanna

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='764764' date='11-Mar-2009 18:12']See How to compact PST files in Outlook 2000.[/quote]

> 1. If the Folder List is not showing, click Folder List on the View menu.
    2. Right-click one of the Personal Folders.
    3. Click "Properties For Personal Folders."
    4. On the General tab, click Advanced, and then click Compact Now.
    5. Click OK twice.

When I get to step 4, there is no Advanced button. See attached image. And yes, I have Internet Mail Only.

Any other suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='764941' date='11-Mar-2009 21:55']When I get to step 4, there is no Advanced button. See attached image. And yes, I have Internet Mail Only.[/quote]
    Are you sure that you right clicked at the top level on the Personal Folder, this screen shot looks like you right clicked on the Inbox Folder.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='764941' date='11-Mar-2009 22:55']Any other suggestions?[/quote]
    I'm sorry, I don't have the slightest idea why the Advanced button would be missing.

I'd create a new .pst file, copy the items that you need to the new file, then tell Outlook to use it as the delivery location:
    - In the folder list, right-click the "root" of the new Personal Folders file.
    - Select Properties from the popup menu.
    - Tick the check box "Deliver POP mail to this personal folders file".
    - Click OK.
    - Quit Outlook, wait a bit (Outlook often remains in memory for some seconds), then start it again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='764943' date='12-Mar-2009 09:09']Are you sure that you right clicked at the top level on the Personal Folder, this screen shot looks like you right clicked on the Inbox Folder.[/quote]

Hi Stuart,

Yes, you were right. I was at the wrong level. And the compacting took ages, as you would expect.

But Windows Explorer was still reporting it as a 2 Gb file. So I exported it to a backup.pst and it is looking good.

Thanks for your help (and thanks to Hans, too).

Johanna