Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Asking this for a friend with Macbook Pro 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM.

Apparently the fan becomes quite noisy (maybe speeds up?) before things freeze up. A reboot fixes the issue for a while. There are many threads on the interthingy that mention the problem, but I'm yet to find a solution. Any suggestions or home-baked remedies?

Also, he purchased overseas cheap and the warranty is no good for Australia.

Alan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='764786' date='11-Mar-2009 08:09']Asking this for a friend with Macbook Pro 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM.

Apparently the fan becomes quite noisy (maybe speeds up?) before things freeze up. A reboot fixes the issue for a while. There are many threads on the interthingy that mention the problem, but I'm yet to find a solution. Any suggestions or home-baked remedies?

Also, he purchased overseas cheap and the warranty is no good for Australia.

Alan[/quote]
    I don't know a lot about this problem but I found this page that may be of some help?

Since laptops in general are difficult to fix, I decided that a warranty would be the best bet for me. I can work inside of a PC box, but a Mac laptop would be an entirely different matter. It is too bad that your friend doesn't have a warranty to cover his piece of equipment. I hope he solves his problem.

"Peace begins with a smile. "-- Mother Teresa

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='skitterbug' post='765129' date='13-Mar-2009 06:37']I don't know a lot about this problem but I found this page that may be of some help?

Since laptops in general are difficult to fix, I decided that a warranty would be the best bet for me. I can work inside of a PC box, but a Mac laptop would be an entirely different matter. It is too bad that your friend doesn't have a warranty to cover his piece of equipment. I hope he solves his problem.[/quote]

Many thanks Skitter. I'll pass that along. And yes, laptops are rather more difficult (all round) than nice big boxes.

Alan