Thread: Posting code

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    At what point should we post code as an attachment. Are there limitations to using the code tags, should they only be used up to a specific limit?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Personal opinion here and not official Lounge policy.

I have seen it when Loungers have posted massive pieces of code to the Lounge and then expected a reader to decypher it and find the fault/fix. Too much code can turn people away so I suggest that you send code up in small bite size chunks with a covering not such as:

"I have this piece of code which fails when I do this..."

and then provide a snippet in the post. There is nothing wrong with adding a new snippet to the next post or a new post. If you feel to send entire code so that it can be copied into an application just addit to a text file and the respondent can make a judgement call as to whether to respond. HTH
    Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='VegasNath' post='764893' date='11-Mar-2009 14:45']At what point should we post code as an attachment. Are there limitations to using the code tags, should they only be used up to a specific limit?[/quote]

I would suggest using "code" for shorter code posts and the scrollable "codebox" for longer code posting.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='mbarron' post='764901' date='11-Mar-2009 16:12']I would suggest using "code" for shorter code posts and the scrollable "codebox" for longer code posting.[/quote]
    I would further suggest that "shorter" be quantified as "half a screenful" and "longer" as "more than half a screenful".
    If the problem can't be narrowed down to what the eye can scan, it's called "work".