Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anyone point me to a link that compares the three "related" VNC products, please? I'm continuing my Googling. All the threads here in The Lounge have a bit of age on them and I think all three of the following products have seen updates and/or improvements in the past couple of years. I am trying to advise someone about these three choices:

VNC - RealVNC

VNC - UltraVNC

VNC - TightVNC

(I wasn't aware that RealVNC is now a "pay" product, although the free version is still there.)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='765009' date='12-Mar-2009 08:09'][/quote]

See Comparison of remote desktop software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a extensive chart of programs.

Note: the free RealVNC does not support Vista (& therefore Win7). See RealVNC - VNC feature comparison and download selector
    TightVNC 1.3.x does not run as a service on Vista. See TightVNC: Version 1.3.10 Released
    UltraVNC 1.5.x has its own set of issues with screen refresh that TightVNC will face will its 1.4 re-architecting to accomodate running on Vista & Win7 as a service. See UltraVNC :: View Forum - Release 105.3 and UltraVNC :: View Forum - Release 105 Bugs

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='765019' date='12-Mar-2009 10:49']See Comparison of remote desktop software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for a extensive chart of programs.[/quote]
    Excellent find, Joe, THANKS a bunch!

Thanks
    That's a good, but not complete, comparison, for CrossLoop (free) uses TightVNC. Ignore all the stuff about helpers and accounts, and one person can allow another person to manipulate the first person's PC from the second computer. IYSWIM!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    With the caveats mentioned by Joe in mind, I cobbled together this smaller shot of a few selected programs that ARE Windows compatible, even though I know there is at least one Lounger who uses remote control who is a Linux addict.

The only reason I did so is that the question I was asked offline pertains to the three "relatives" I mentioned in my original post.

[attachment=82812:Remote_C..._Special.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    OK, I have 2 Vista machines that I want to use this on, will any of the above work with them?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='765039' date='12-Mar-2009 11:49']That's a good, but not complete, comparison, for CrossLoop (free) uses TightVNC.[/quote]
    Not sure what your other wording means that I clipped out, but a couple of years ago when the product came up in the thread at Post 615971 I only remember that I was "put off" by the fact that it "takes TWO to tango." Much of my remote control activity involves ME, all alone on my own LAN, so the business of having to pass along a secret word caused me to remove my tryout copy of it.

But it HAS been two years, so maybe Loungers will still want to look at it. Why it isn't included in the Wiki chart is beyond me.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='765044' date='12-Mar-2009 10:55'][/quote]

I use Ultra VNC : Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control at work on Vista machines.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='765044' date='12-Mar-2009 11:55'][/quote]
    And, in addition to Joe's comment, the footnotes #7 and #8 in his Wiki page have links to the corresponding info on both Ultra and Tight.

Here's one of 'em: TightVNC Frequently Asked Questions that says it works in Vista but not as a system service (yet). I guess that means you can use it but would have to explicitly start it up when you want to use remote.

I sure wish I could remember why I switched to Tight and I'm thinking it was FILE TRANSFER but I can't remember now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='765051' date='12-Mar-2009 09:06']I use Ultra VNC : Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control at work on Vista machines.

Joe[/quote]

When using this type of programs, can one copy a file from the remote machine to the local machine and vise versa?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='765068' date='12-Mar-2009 12:50']...can one copy a file from the remote machine to the local machine and vise versa?[/quote]
    Joe doesn't seem to be around now, Dave, so I'll answer YES. Just as if you were sitting there with Windows Explorer locally. That's what the File Transfer column means in the comparison chart. In helping my son with his computer, that was one of my key criteria in a remote control program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input.
    We will now need to decide whether she wants to do this or not. It sounds like a very interesting project.
    Again, thanks to all for their input.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='765068' date='12-Mar-2009 11:50'][/quote]

That is supposed to be one of the features of UltraVNC. I don't use it that way as I just use it at work and we've got a Lan.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='765101' date='12-Mar-2009 13:53']That is supposed to be one of the features of UltraVNC.[/quote]
    Not to belabor the subject but it must be popular - I notice that the RealVNC family of three, you don't get file transfer with the free version but you do with the paid Personal and Enterprise.

It first started in my case in working with my son or someone else remotely. I would want to install a piece of software on his machine and he doesn't have it downloaded. I can quickly copy the installer from my machine to his and THEN run the installation as if I were sitting at his machine. He and I have also used file transfer for a lot of other purposes.