New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Office 2007 and Office 2003 on my computer. I want the file extesions .xls and .ppt to defalut to the 2003 version because of compatability problems at work. When I try to reset the defaults in "open with" under folder options, it appears the change is made, but files still open in the 2007 version. What am i doing wrong?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think every time you start up either program the defaults will be set for THAT current program. I have NOT every seen a fix for this.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter

If you are OK with a work around try this

1. Navigate to where your Excel 2003 exe is located. This is usually: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
    2. Change the name of the Excel 2003 exe from Excel.exe to Excel2K3.exe
    3. Right click on an XLS file and select Open With > Choose Program and when the dialog appears, click the Browse button and navigate to the renamed Excel file (Excel2K3.exe).
    4. Select it.
    5. When the Open With dialog reappears, be sure that the 'Aways use selected program...' check box is selected.
    6. Click OK.

Now, any time you double click on an xls file Excel 2003 will open it and when you click on an XLSX file, 2007 will open it but only if you do not have Excel 2003 open.

A little work around but it will stop the frustration
    Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Jezza' post='765440' date='14-Mar-2009 18:27']Peter

If you are OK with a work around try this

1. Navigate to where your Excel 2003 exe is located. This is usually: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
    2. Change the name of the Excel 2003 exe from Excel.exe to Excel2K3.exe
    3. Right click on an XLS file and select Open With > Choose Program and when the dialog appears, click the Browse button and navigate to the renamed Excel file (Excel2K3.exe).
    4. Select it.
    5. When the Open With dialog reappears, be sure that the 'Aways use selected program...' check box is selected.
    6. Click OK.

Now, any time you double click on an xls file Excel 2003 will open it and when you click on an XLSX file, 2007 will open it but only if you do not have Excel 2003 open.

A little work around but it will stop the frustration [/quote]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry

Thanks for the response...the solution worked well, but there is another issue that comes up that is possibly unrelated. When Excel 2003 opens, the file I clicked on opens momentarily, flashes on the screen, then the program immediately opens a new, blank worksheet. I can still get back to the existing file in the tray, but it's obviously annoying....any ideas?