New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently replaced my Dell Dimension with a Dell Vostro. The Dimension had MS Word pre-installed, and I would like to install it on the new computer, using the CD that came with the old machine. The Dimension's hard drive will then be reformatted and restored to what it was the day I received it, after which it will be donated to our local Youth Center.

Dell says there are no legal issues with my transferring software in that manner, as long as it's not installed on more than one computer. However, I have for years stored all my CDs in a special rack, minus the paper sleeves. Of course, the Certificate of Authenticity was on the sleeve, and now I can no longer find it.

Does anyone here know if the Authentication Code is stored somewhere in the Registry of the old computer, and if so, where?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Thanks
    [quote name='Doclocke98926' post='765485' date='15-Mar-2009 13:31'][/quote]
    Have a look at this thread. That thread refers to a Windows product key, but the same software recommended in the second and third posts of that thread will also reveal product keys for Office software (and others).

edited to add: If Word was preinstalled on the old computer, then it's probably an OEM (read DELL) version. If that's the case, then you may have trouble activating it on the new machine. OEM versions of Office (or any Office component) are licensed ONLY to ONE machine (the original). You can probably install it on the new machine (when you find the product key), but you may NOT be able to activate it (this is MS licensing policy). If however your version was an actual Microsoft version (rather than a Dell version), then you should have no trouble.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I know it's a bit late, but in the future always write the product key directly on the disk.