Slade Hornick

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permis (Word 2000)

We are running into problems saving files over our network, keep getting this error, "Word cannot complete the save due to a file permissions error". I have searched newsgroups, knowledge base and forums and have only come up with a few fixes/suggestions. Have tried them all, but this problem still is coming up. All works OK saving locally.

The problem comes up only once in a while. The user can open the document, save it a couple of times, then the error will pop up. It then will suggest to save the file as Read-Only, etc...

I know it is not a permission problem, since they can access the files, save them at least once.

Have tried:

1. Turning off virus software
    2. Editing the registry to trick Word about UNC paths
    3. Messing with fast save, etc....

Our setup is:

Windows 2000 server (dual PIII, 733, 1 gig ram)
    10/100 network, 3com superstack switches (no hubs)
    98 Workstations (PIII, 866, 128 mg ram)

Thanks

Re: Word cannot complete the save due to a file permis (Word 2000)

Just thinking out loud...

Word could be (1) making changes to a shared template with restricted permissions, or (2) deleting temp files in the same folder as the document.

Is there any other process (e.g., backup, virus scan, document indexer) that could be accessing/locking the files?

Word's suggestion to save the file as Read Only doesn't make any sense at all!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word cannot complete the save due to a file pe

I have one machine here that has started giving the same message about not being able to save because of file permissions and/or failed network connections.

Can you expand upon your comment about Word deleting tmp files in the same folder please? I think it may have a bearing as sometimes the file name that Word offers is of the style ~WRLnnnn.tmp.doc (note the double extension).

stuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Word creates temporary files in several locations when you open a document
    <UL><LI>A file whose name is ~$ followed by (part of) the name of the document in the same folder as the document. This file is used to track who has opened a file.
    <LI>A file whose name is ~$ followed by (part of) the name of the template associated with the document, in the same folder as the template. This file is used to track who uses the template.
    <LI>Various files in the user's Temp folder. Some of these are used to restore a document if Word crashes.[/list]I have never seen a temporary file with extension .tmp.doc, though. Perhaps a user opened one of these temporary files directly in Word, then saved it as a document?
    Try emptying the user's Temp folder (close all applications before doing so), and deleting all files (in any location) whose name starts with ~$.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have a vague grasp of how Word works behind the scenes and am aware of the hidden ~$PartOfFilename.doc files that it generates in the template folder and the folder holding the working file as well as the hidden ~WRLnnnn.tmp files, also in the working folder. My understanding is as follows, please put me right if necessary:

Word creates the ~WRLnnnn.tmp file in the folder holding the working file to use it like a scratch pad to hold on-screen edits until you hit save. Only when a Save or Save As is requested does Word then combine the edits in the ~WRLnnnn.tmp with the disk copy of the working file to update the disk copy. When you quit Word the ~WRLnnnn.tmp file is deleted as are the ~$PartOfFilename.doc 'permissions/lock' files.

In this case opening a file on a particular machine and saving works OK some of the time but more often than not the message is that the Save couldn't complete because of permissions and/or loss of network connection. NB the network connection is OK , other applications are quite happy. The reference to permissions suggests trouble with the ~$PartOfFilename.doc 'permissions/lock' files. Word offers to retry the save and it's at this point that the very strange double extension filename ~WRLnnnn.tmp.doc appears.

If you are not careful then the original file disappears from the network folder. Thinking out loud now, it's as if pressing save causes Word to open the original file so it can write in all the edits from the ~WRLnnnn.tmp it then deletes the original but when it tries to write the updated version back using the original name it finds the ~$PartOfFilename.doc file says that filename is in use so you can't do that (of course it's in use, Word is using it).

I have already checked all the relevant network folders for stray ~ files but I'll try your tip of going through the local hard drive as well.

stuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you are using Word 2002, you might try toggling the value of Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives in the Save tab of Tools | Options...

For an overview of how Word uses temporary files, see <!mskb=211632>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 211632<!/mskb>.

You might also have a look at <!mskb=311153>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 311153<!/mskb> (if you are using Windows NT 4 on the server) or <!mskb=305323>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 305323<!/mskb> (if you are using NetWare on the server).

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word cannot complete the save due to a file permis (Word 2000)

Hi all,

Another article which might be relevant - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;212347

Regards.
    Ed

Thanks

I don't know the exact way that Word uses .TMP files; there have been posts on this before by people who know more than I do. However, I seem to recall that when you save, Word creates a .TMP file, then deletes the original .DOC, then renames the .TMP file to .DOC. The user would need permission to do each of these things (add file, modify file, delete file, rename file) in the relevant folder, or there will be an error. Often network administrators will set read and write permission, but not change permission. This isn't always the source of the problem, but it is worth checking.

As for that odd file name in your earlier post... I have no idea.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It appears that my problem is related to an anti-virus program. Having disabled the local client (Sophos Anti-Virus InterCheck Monitor), Word happily completes the save process once again. See Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 122379, case 4.

Now why just this one PC is behaving like this is another matter as all the other PC also run the same anti-virus client but at least I know where to look next.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

(un)stuck