Thread: Open Ports

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

On Windows 2000 Server (terminal server), how do I do the following:

1. Check a specific port (in this case port 383) is open and listening? So far I have tried netstat -na which generated a list of ports and their status (383 was not listed).
    2. Open or close said port and ensure it is listening?

Kyu

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='VampyreUK' post='765614' date='16-Mar-2009 10:25'][/quote]

You can use TCPView for Windows to see what ports are being used and close any you wish. As long as the port is not being blocked by the firewall it should be available. It is just a matter of some program requesting its use.

joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If netstat -na showed nothing listening on port 338 then you don't have any programs listening on that port.

The only way to "open" a port is from within a program.
    Do you know what program is supposed to be listening on Port 338?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez' post='765646 View Post
    The only way to "open" a port is from within a program. Do you know what program is supposed to be listening on Port 338?
    The company uses HP OpenView which (apparently) needs that port open.

It appears that HPOV isn't opening the port or something else is getting in the way ... so there's no way to specifically open it??

Kyu

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='VampyreUK' post='765796' date='17-Mar-2009 14:31']It appears that HPOV isn't opening the port or something else is getting in the way ... so there's no way to specifically open it??[/quote]
    No, you can't just "open a port", the program that does this has to specify what code to run when something tries to connect. You need to understand why the software is not doing what you expect.

I did a quick Google search for HP OpenView "port 338" and nothing obvious turned up, what is the exact name of the product you are using?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[quote name='StuartR' post='765798' date='17-Mar-2009 14:57']No, you can't just "open a port", the program that does this has to specify what code to run when something tries to connect. You need to understand why the software is not doing what you expect.

I did a quick Google search for HP OpenView "port 338" and nothing obvious turned up, what is the exact name of the product you are using?[/quote]

Hi Stuart,

All I know is that it's HP OpenView on port 383 (not 338) ... another group in the company runs the OpenView stuff.

Kyu

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='VampyreUK' post='766165' date='19-Mar-2009 10:31']All I know is that it's HP OpenView on port 383 (not 338) ... another group in the company runs the OpenView stuff.[/quote]
    I looked around on Google to see what I could find out about this.
    Have you spoken to the people in your company who run the OpenView stuff, I assume that it is the OpenView agent on your system that is supposed to open that port, but this will depend on how it has been configured.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR' post='766172 View Post
    This thread on the HP IT Resource Centre has a bit more information
    Thanks .. I'm reading that through.

[quote name='StuartR' post='766172' date='19-Mar-2009 11:02']Have you spoken to the people in your company who run the OpenView stuff, I assume that it is the OpenView agent on your system that is supposed to open that port, but this will depend on how it has been configured.[/quote]

Yes, they are the people I am liaising with ... in many ways the problem is political, they view their servers as theirs and Wintel boxes as ours so if things don't work on our boxes (even though they roll them out) we have to explain why it doesn't work.

Kyu