Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried to create a Table of Figures by first inserting Captions underneath all my pictures then going to Insert, References, Table of Figures. However, I get an error message stating it can't find any Figures. I must be missing something here. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How did you insert the captions? You need to let Word put the captions in with Figure fields if you want to build the TOF with the default settings. The other alternative for the TOF is to assign a unique style to the caption paragraphs and then add a TOC based on those styles.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still struggling with this problem. I find many articles that give the following basic steps:

1. Insert the figure.
    2. Go to Insert, References, Caption and have Word add the caption. Which it does by creating a text box and putting the caption inside the bos.
    3. Go to Insert, References Table of Figures.

Unfortunately Word for whatever reason cannot find captions inside of text boxes. (Why in the world they would have captions inserted in text boxes if they cannot be found by a table of figures is some kind of moronic thinking.)

I have seen articles explaining that you have to put captions in frames along with the figure which is a terribly complex procedure.

I've also seen recommendations to put the figure in a two-cell table and put the caption in the other cell. However, when you put the insertion point in the cell of a table where you want the caption and then Insert a Caption the caption goes under the table, not in the cell. THen you have to move it there.

In all, trying to add captions and have them show up in a table of figures turns out to be a terribly involved process.

Anyone have some simpler method?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I almost never use floating pictures. Whenever possible, I create pictures inline with text. They are much easier to manage.

When you add a caption to an inline picture, the caption will be in a standard text paragraph instead of in a text box, so the Table of Figures feature will include it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Chuck Tucker' post='766860' date='23-Mar-2009 17:39']I'm still struggling with this problem.[/quote]
    When I use floating figures, I simply use Insert > Reference > Caption to insert the caption as the paragraph below the figure. If you don't select the figure then Word doesn't create that very annoying text box.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='Chuck Tucker' post='766860' date='23-Mar-2009 12:39']Unfortunately Word for whatever reason cannot find captions inside of text boxes. (Why in the world they would have captions inserted in text boxes if they cannot be found by a table of figures is some kind of moronic thinking.)[/quote]
    Right. When a picture and its caption must be wrapped, I generate the caption while the figure is in line with text and then place them both in a wrapped table. The TOC feature can see inside tables.
    Pam Caswell