3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Lately, Word 2007 has been performing extremely poorly- crashing frequently and taking upwards of 5 minutes to save documents (even locally to my machine- the file is 10,900KB though). I have a pretty fast laptop, so processing power isn't the issue. So I am curious if a) there is an effective repair function within either Word or Office 2007 that will hopefully troubleshoot this, what might be causing this, if there are commonly known reasons, c) any other relevant advice folks might have. I can't afford these problems at work. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Is Word the only application that performs poorly, or does the same hold for others, in particular other Office applications such as Excel?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pretty much Word, although that's the application I work with the most. Sometimes Excel files take forever to open, but that might be a server issue. I don't know if my problem is Word specific or more Office 2007 specific. It's killing me, though.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Some antivirus programs have an "Office plugin" or similar that scans every Office document when it's opened or saved. This can slow down performance considerably. Fortunately, such plugins can be turned off without compromising security as long as you leave the antivirus app's realtime protection active.

And it won't hurt to make sure that your PC is free from malware.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Checked with Norton settings and real-time scanning for Office documents is off, so that's not the problem.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you check in the Processes tab of the Task Manager whether Word itself is consuming a lot of CPU power or other processes?

Thanks
    [quote name='ben000' post='765819' date='17-Mar-2009 11:56']Checked with Norton settings and real-time scanning for Office documents is off, so that's not the problem.[/quote]
    You might want to try a repair then. Open Word, click on the Office Button (top left corner) and click on Word Options. Select Resources and click on the Diagnose button opposite "run Microsoft Office Diagnostics".
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok, this is truly F'd. Attempted to do another save of this huge document I am editing (I save periodically), and to the same location. I get "The file is read-only." but I have full editing permission rights on it. Wtf. Word seems to be trying to sabotage my ability to meet work deadlines.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.