Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    A new version of SIW ( System Information for Windows ) in available HERE

It's a good comprehensive system overview.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up, Bob. I must admit that I keep the current version on hand all the time but I usually "forget" to look in SIW when I want to know something.

Kinda funny, with an evil twist, that the guy gets two comments, one from a clod complaining because he hasn't fixed something, and the humorous one from a fellow old-timer who's gonna make a donation when his next SS check arrives.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='765847' date='17-Mar-2009 17:16']A new version of SIW ( System Information for Windows ) in available HERE

It's a good comprehensive system overview.[/quote]

Bob,
    Thanks, but I'm having some problems with it. I already have the previous version of SIW so I just opened that, clicked on help and chose the check for updates option. It did its thing, offered me 17.3.2009 and I accepted. Unfortunately, my NIS auto protect function then blocked the download process, saying it is a high security risk - a suspicious HM690A (whatever that is). It also says it's a heuristic type virus! NIS maintains the block for 30 minutes, so I'm stuck for a while.

Not deterred, I used your link only to find that IE tells me it cannot open the internet site and has aborted the operation!!

I'll leave it a couple of hours and then turn off my auto protect function and see if I can get it dowloaded. I'd be interested to know if anyone else is having a problem. Pity 'cause it's a very useful tool to have. I'm assuming here that you've already downloaded the updated version without problems?

Cheers,
    Keith

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='aekyall' post='765870' date='17-Mar-2009 15:01']... I'm assuming here that you've already downloaded the updated version without problems?[/quote]
    I don't know about Bob, but I did and used Firefox to do it. No problems. I've installed and run it successfully.

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='765847' date='17-Mar-2009 17:16']A new version of SIW ( System Information for Windows ) in available HERE[/quote]
    Typical! I downloaded 20090224 just a couple of days ago!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='aekyall' post='765870' date='17-Mar-2009 15:01']Unfortunately, my NIS auto protect function then blocked the download process, saying it is a high security risk - a suspicious HM690A (whatever that is). It also says it's a heuristic type virus![/quote]

Keith,
    I had the same experience this morning. I think Norton's warning is a false positive, but the solution is simple. If your previous version of SIW was residing in a Program Files folder, it's likely that you had installed SIW previously, rather than simply running it from the siw.exe file. If that's the case, uninstall SIW. If your previous version had not been installed, then simply delete the old siw.exe file. Then go to to the SIW site, and click on the Download link above the Standalone English Version.This will simply download the siw.exe file and you can then place a shortcut to it on your desktop.

If you download the Mulitlanguage version, you will be downloading the file which can then be used to install SIW.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='765875' date='17-Mar-2009 19:22']Keith,
    I had the same experience this morning. I think Norton's warning is a false positive, but the solution is simple. If your previous version of SIW was residing in a Program Files folder, it's likely that you had installed SIW previously, rather than simply running it from the siw.exe file. If that's the case, uninstall SIW. If your previous version had not been installed, then simply delete the old siw.exe file. Then go to to the SIW site, and click on the Download link above the Standalone English Version.This will simply download the siw.exe file and you can then place a shortcut to it on your desktop.

If you download the Mulitlanguage version, you will be downloading the file which can then be used to install SIW.[/quote]

Thanks John. Yes, I had previously installed SIW rather than simply running it from the .exe file. I'll give your solution a go and let you know how I get on.

cheers,
    Keith

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='765875' date='17-Mar-2009 19:22']Keith,

If you download the Mulitlanguage version, you will be downloading the file which can then be used to install SIW.[/quote]

John - your solution worked fine, I'm now up and running with 17.3.2009. Many thanks
    Keith

Thanks
    [quote name='aekyall' post='765883' date='17-Mar-2009 16:03']John - your solution worked fine, I'm now up and running with 17.3.2009. Many thanks
    Keith[/quote]
    Great. Glad it worked out Keith, and thanks for posting back.
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    All I get when I visit this site is a error box.
    I am Running Windows XP SP3 IE 7
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='aekyall' post='765883' date='18-Mar-2009 04:03']John - your solution worked fine, I'm now up and running with 17.3.2009. Many thanks
    Keith[/quote]

I think that SIW (and Belarc) is the sort of program that is most conveniently kept on a flash drive and run from that while offline. It does, as you may or may not have discovered, have the ability to display certain of your serial numbers, for example.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='765958' date='17-Mar-2009 23:51']I think that SIW (and Belarc) is the sort of program that is most conveniently kept on a flash drive and run from that while offline.[/quote]

WHY ???
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='765967' date='18-Mar-2009 12:26']WHY ???[/quote]

Hackers who know what they are doing can obviously use the same technology to learn such things from their end of the line, but at least you can say that you tried to prevent inadvertent disclosure by taking some precautions. You can't keep the pros out, but you might keep the kiddies out, and sometimes they are the greater risk. (Think of The Young Offenders Act in this neck of the woods.) It may be no more than a figleaf, but at least you can say you tried.

Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='765973' date='18-Mar-2009 02:17']Hackers who know what they are doing can obviously use the same technology to learn such things from their end of the line, but at least you can say that you tried to prevent inadvertent disclosure by taking some precautions. You can't keep the pros out, but you might keep the kiddies out, and sometimes they are the greater risk. (Think of The Young Offenders Act in this neck of the woods.) It may be no more than a figleaf, but at least you can say you tried.[/quote]
    Well, I'm really not sure what you're talking about, but if you feel better running this type of utility from a flash drive, then that's certainly your option. I really don't understand what that would solve or what extra "security" that would afford.
    John

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='765975' date='18-Mar-2009 14:30']Well, I'm really not sure what you're talking about, but if you feel better running this type of utility from a flash drive, then that's certainly your option. I really don't understand what that would solve or what extra "security" that would afford.[/quote]

It is physically removable. If someone gains access to your computer they can run any program that is on it, including these diagnostic programs if they are there. If they aren't there and they don't have (or install) one of their own, then they obviously can't run it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast