Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if MS Silverlight gets "attached" to any other process or installer without a user's knowledge?

I just happened to be looking in Revo Uninstaller's list to remind myself what stuff I've installed recently. Lo and behold, there it sits and I know nothing about it, haven't downloaded any installer and it doesn't appear in my Start Button list of programs, unless it's HIDING under something else!

And furthermore, even though I blush when I say this, I haven't run any Windows Updates in the past 4-6 weeks, so I don't think it sneaked in that way. Puzzled I am.

[attachment=82933:2009_03_17_135755.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='765858' date='17-Mar-2009 19:06']Does anyone know if MS Silverlight gets "attached" to any other process or installer without a user's knowledge?
    <snip>[/quote]
    As you may know it is suggested as a download at several places when visiting MSFT pages, for example Windows pages, Download Center etc. often with a pop-up with some buttons, or just a small link in the corner. I visit MSFT pages much more often than I update OS and software, so there are many possible occasions for me.

No, I don't think it comes with something else, at the moment. And as with Adobe's Flash Player I guess you will not find an entry in the Start menu's All Programs (more likely in the browsers add-on section or as you mentioned in the Add and remove programs list).

I know you use Fx a lot; have you checked your browsers' settings (Fx, IE etc.)?
    [attachment=82935:xMSWindows.PNG]

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='765858' date='17-Mar-2009 14:06'][/quote]

See this MS article. The article was published on Feb. 18, and it is offered via Microsoft Update. According to the article, Silverlight does have an auto-updating feature, so if you did have a previous version installed, perhaps that's what happened?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Argus' post='765863' date='17-Mar-2009 14:35']... have you checked your browsers' settings ...[/quote]
    No, I had not done that, but I just did and sure 'nuff, there it is. Well, I don't object, I just can't figure out how it got there because there's nothing else around that date according to Revo. I thought maybe when I updated Firefox, but that wasn't near the date.

Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the tip, Argus!

[attachment=82937:2009_03_17_144640.png]

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='765867' date='17-Mar-2009 13:51'][/quote]

Microsoft is trying to make Silverlight as ubiquitous as Flash. If you watched any streaming of the Olympics last summer you installed Silverlight. As Argus pointed out, Silverlight is used in several places on the Microsoft web properties.

The strange thing is even though it can do automatic updating I've never seen it do a silent udpate.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='765885' date='17-Mar-2009 16:14']... I've never seen it do a silent udpate.[/quote]
    Well, it must have done so in my case because I don't remember doing anything with it AND, because of the limited applicability these days, I haven't bothered with it.