4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have had a couple of machines lately that exhibit the same behaviour.

When starting up, they get to the Windows Logon screen, or a little past it and then reboot.

I can get the machines up in Safe Mode. System Restore doesn't fix the problem, so mostly I have had to do a clean install of XP, but that is a time consuming process.

Do I have some sort of infection?

Johanna

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='johbot' post='765907' date='17-Mar-2009 16:31'][/quote]

It is possible that you have an infection. Have you run scans while in safe mode? Have you updated any drivers recently? Applied any patches? Added or changed any hardware? Added or changed any software?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe,

It has started to look like it responds well to deleting using anti conflicker tactics. But I cant see anywhere in documentation about that infection that talks about reboots. (That said, just general 'digital hygiene' practices about keeping everything up to date would have prevented the infection in the first place)

So yes, I can run a scan in safe mode and have avoided a rebuild today on a machine.

Thanks.

Johanna

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='johbot' post='765945' date='17-Mar-2009 19:29'][/quote]

Good that you found something. Rebuilding machines is a royal pain.

It is difficult to tell all the effects of any issue/infection given the uniqueness of many hardware and software combinations.

Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='765907' date='17-Mar-2009 22:31']<snip>
    When starting up, they get to the Windows Logon screen, or a little past it and then reboot.

I can get the machines up in Safe Mode. System Restore doesn't fix the problem, so mostly I have had to do a clean install of XP, but that is a time consuming process.
    <snip>[/quote]
    And how about selecting the Windows Advanced Options Menu (via F8, as with the Safe Mode) during one of those "reboots" and then turning off automatic restart ("Disable automatic restart on system failure")?

Since Windows is set, by default, to restart on system errors one will not see the error message that may be there. A continual reboot could be caused, as you know, by a lot of things: bad hardware, bad drivers and even badly written viruses.

But in your case, having several machines with this behaviour doesn't make it seem like bad hardware (on all), more like bad software (drivers) or as you say, perhaps some infection.

Just thought that I should mention it since part of the problem is continual reboots. But using Safe Mode and some different tools is probably the best way in this case.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Argus

Thank you for the suggestion. I love learning new things! I will certainly try this - if only to see what happens.

Johanna