Super Moderator
    Thanks
    When I go to ODBC Data Sources directly from the Start Menu (I am using Vista and Office 2007) I can create a System DSN for Northwind using the SQL Driver. I test it and it works.
    [attachment=82944:NorthwindODBC.gif]

But when I open Access and try to link to Northwind tables this DSN does not appear. But it lets me make another data source which also works, but does not appear back in the first list of data sources.
    [attachment=82945:NorthwindODBC2.gif]

Isn't the list of data sources supposed to apply for the machine? or at least the user.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know if this will help, but. When I connect to SQL Server data sources, they always show up on the "File Data Source" tab.

I am using Vista and Office 2003.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='kwvh' post='765966' date='18-Mar-2009 16:23']I don't know if this will help, but. When I connect to SQL Server data sources, they always show up on the "File Data Source" tab.

I am using Vista and Office 2003.[/quote]
    Thanks for that.
    I see that if I create a File DSN in either place, it is visible in the other.
    But not the System ones.
    Regards
    John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My understanding of how this is supposed to work is that a User DSN is visible only to the user that created it, while a System DSN is visible to any user who is logged into the PC. Both of those DSN types are stored in the registry of the PC, while File DSNs are stored in a file, either in the application you are building, or in a separate file that you reference. That said, there does seem to be some sort of change going on with Vista and Office 2007. In particular, I created a System DSN on a Win 2008 Server running SQL Server 2008 using an account that has both Administrator and Domain Admins roles, and then tried to reference that DSN from Access 2007 and it said I need Administrator priviledges to use it. I've also noted something similar in trying to connect to a Win 2003 Server with SQL 2005 from my Vista laptop with Access 2007. I'll do some further research and see what seems to be going on.
    Wendell