New Lounger
    Thanks

Talking

We have a workbook that contains a mass of data valuable to a competitor. It has to be available to view by employees via the intranet/vpn. We want to prevent any data being copied to another 'unsecured' workbook. I can prevent cut,copy,paste,print,save, save as but I cannot find/figure out how to prevent the 'Save as web page' or the 'Save as' on the Excel logo top left of the workbook. Anyone help me out here?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='barberdt' post='765987' date='18-Mar-2009 09:39']We have a workbook that contains a mass of data valuable to a competitor. It has to be available to view by employees via the intranet/vpn. We want to prevent any data being copied to another 'unsecured' workbook. I can prevent cut,copy,paste,print,save, save as but I cannot find/figure out how to prevent the 'Save as web page' or the 'Save as' on the Excel logo top left of the workbook. Anyone help me out here?[/quote]

Morning

This should disable the 'Save as' part of your question

Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open() 
    	Application. CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("File").Controls("Save As...").Enabled = False 
    	Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("File").Controls("Save").Enabled = False 
    End Sub
    Cheers

Steve
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve
    Many thanks for the help but this does not prevent a user from doing a 'File-Save as Web Page..' or prevent a 'Save as..' from the Excel logo.

Got any more ideas?

Dave B.

[quote name='stevehocking' post='765989' date='18-Mar-2009 11:09']Morning

This should disable the 'Save as' part of your question

Code:
    Private Sub Workbook_Open() 
    	Application. CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("File").Controls("Save As...").Enabled = False 
    	Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu Bar").Controls("File").Controls("Save").Enabled = False 
    End Sub
    Cheers

Steve[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could create a BeforeSave event for the workbook and always set the Cancel argument to be True.

You may have to take steps to ensure that macros are always enabled, such as setting the sheet with the data to be VeryHidden and unhiding it from your macro when it runs.

There will come a point where you have to trust your employees though, it can be really hard to prevent them taking a photo of the PC screen and sharing that, unless you are the kind of organization that can search employees for cameras at the door.

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='769253' date='05-Apr-2009 08:14']There will come a point where you have to trust your employees though, it can be really hard to prevent them taking a photo of the PC screen and sharing that, unless you are the kind of organization that can search employees for cameras at the door.[/quote]

Even print-screen will work and there are many ways to disable protection for those so inclined...

Steve