Thread: Word 2003

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

I am trying to create a template which has different headers and footers. The header on the first page is different from the header on the second and any following (if required) pages.

My footer on the first page will be different from the footer on the second and any consequent pages. However, if my document has, say 5 pages, the footer on pages 2, 3 and 4 will be the same, but the footer on the last page will be different from these other pages. The footer on the last page will always be the same - not matter how many pages there are once the template has been completed.

Please can you help!!

Regards

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='angiec69' post='765988' date='18-Mar-2009 09:45'].[/quote]
    To get the different header and footer on the first page you can simply tick the check box for "Different first page" on the Page Setup dialog box.

There are two ways to get a different footer on the last page.
    1. I think that the easiest is to use an IF field in the footer to check whether the current page number is equal to the total number of pages in the document. The syntax for this is

{ IF{ PAGE }={ NUMPAGES } "Last Page Footer" "Other Page Footer" }

Don't type the curly brackets from the keyboard, you insert these by typing Control-F9.

When you have this working correctly, you can delete the words in the "" and replace them with the actual footer text you want. This can contain tables, formatting, or anything else you like, but do make sure the syntax is working for you before you put anything too complex in there.
    2. You can put a section break before the end of the last page, and configure this section to have different headers and footers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Stuart

I went for option 1 and it worked a treat. Thanks very much!!! Much appreciated.

Angie

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Stuart, thanks very much for this, but I seem to be having a problem. Some users are reporting that if they complete a three page document which is more than 2 pages, then the footer on the last page is cutting off half way, I have tried on my machine and its fine - any ideas would be greatly apprecaited. many thanks.

Angie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That's not likely to be a problem with the footer text. Perhaps they use a different printer which has a larger non-printing bottom margin; they could try increasing the "From edge" distance for the footer (in the Layout tab of the Page Setup dialog)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that Hans, but we are using the same printer - which is really bizarre, i will try this anyways.

Thanks

Hey Hans, this didn't work either - is there a way I can add some sort of bookmark to the template to say that if it is more than 2 pages to put in a different footer on the last page?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could add another IF field to check whether { NUMPAGES } is greater than 2, but since the current field doesn't work the way you want, I don't think that would work either.

Perhaps the users having problems should reinstall the printer driver.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='769509' date='07-Apr-2009 08:50']You could add another IF field to check whether { NUMPAGES } is greater than 2, but since the current field doesn't work the way you want, I don't think that would work either.

Perhaps the users having problems should reinstall the printer driver.[/quote]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again Hans - we already reinstalled the printer. The users have a generic printer driver - i have the same one.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. You could try Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word.

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='769514' date='07-Apr-2009 09:06']I'm afraid I'm out of ideas. You could try Phil Rabichow's Systematic Approach to behavioral Problems in Word.[/quote]

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for all your help, speak soon.

Angie

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='angiec69' post='769512' date='07-Apr-2009 02:02']Thanks again Hans - we already reinstalled the printer. The users have a generic printer driver - i have the same one. [/quote]
    What is this "Generic" printer, as the one that comes with Windows is a plain text type, and will give one all kind of issues.

Are all of these machines running the same version of Windows and Office?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.