New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi All

Please could any body help with the following even if only to tell me its not possible as I'm wasting a lot of time on it.

I'm trying to produce a technical report in word via a mail merge from excel holding all the results of various material tests.

I would like to merge data at various points within the document but word always starts a new document so I end up with hundreds of pages.

For example I wiould like data in a title page then some more data within the body of the report but when I run the mail merge I end up with a repeat of the tiltle page and main body for every line within the excel.

I think I could explain this better but I have mail merge burn out after trying hundreds of combinations of solutions from various websites.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

If you select Letters as document type, Word will start a new page for each record (row) in the data source. If you don't want that, select Directory as document type.

If you want to group data from several rows, take a look at macropod's star post [topic="731107"]Word 97-2007 Mailmerge Tutorial: Create Sorted Listings[/topic]. It comes with sample files.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='766007' date='18-Mar-2009 07:29']Welcome to the Lounge!

If you select Letters as document type, Word will start a new page for each record (row) in the data source. If you don't want that, select Directory as document type.

If you want to group data from several rows, take a look at macropod's star post [topic="731107"]Word 97-2007 Mailmerge Tutorial: Create Sorted Listings[/topic]. It comes with sample files.[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply I will review Tutorial this afternoon.

There is no Directory option in my version " Word 2000" is this in the later versions 2003 etc..

Andrew

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HarryEngland' post='766015' date='18-Mar-2009 13:58']There is no Directory option in my version " Word 2000" is this in the later versions 2003 etc..[/quote]
    That option was called "Catalog" in Word 2000 and earlier.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='766017' date='19-Mar-2009 00:07']That option was called "Catalog" in Word 2000 and earlier.[/quote]
    Which is what the tutorial says to use for Word 2000 ...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]