Thanks
    I am preparing to install SP3. I looked at the most recent thread started by Duchess843 on 01-Mar-2009 20:27.

I diligently followed Argus' recommendations in the thread and read the information at MS. In this link

Information about Windows XP Service Pack 3

I read:

Windows XP SP3 cannot be installed if you have the following updates installed on your computer:

* Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    * Remote Desktop Connection (RDP) 6.0 MUI pack (Update 925877 for Windows XP)

I tried finding them in Add/Remove Programs and did not see them there.

Being very diligent, I searched and learned that RDP is associated with the following executable:

mstsc.exe

I searched my machine and Explorer found this list of files:

mstsc.exe
    mstsc.exe.mui
    lhmstsc.exe

From this I gather that I have RDP on my computer but that it is not recognized as an installed program.

I tried to learn which executables are associated with the Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit but was frustrated by all the unwanted Google hits that reference the need to uninstall it before installing SP3.

1) Do I need to be concerned about the RDP files I found?

2) If I do, does anyone know of files which are unique to Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit that I can search for to see if it was somehow installed, either by the vendor of this machine a year ago or as an update from MS?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Microsoft Windows Shared Computer Toolkit (now renamed to Windows SteadyState) is a tool for administrators of shared computers. If you don't know what it is, it's unlikely that you have it or need it.

I'd go ahead and install SP3 - I have installed it on my home PC and on several computers in the office where I work without any problems whatsoever.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='baumgrenze' post='766049' date='18-Mar-2009 12:18'][/quote]
    And, if it's possible and a part of your computer strategy, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a full backup in whatever form you usually do, i.e. image, files, etc.