Star Lounger
    Thanks

Block Automatic Save of Normal.dot (Word 2000 (9.0.3821) SR-1)

Is there any way to prevent Word from automatically saving Normal.dot when I exit the program? I know that I can select "Prompt to save normal template," but I always click "no" so why should I have to go through this extra step?

I read a lot of Word documents from other students in my online college classes, and I don't want to accidentally overwrite my normal template with one of theirs.

Thanks

Re: Block Automatic Save of Normal.dot (Word 2000 (9.0.3821) SR-1)

Opening other peoples' documents shouldn't change your Normal template. I'm sure there is a way to prevent that from happening.

If you really don't want to risk Normal.dot pollution, I've seen two suggestions in the Lounge: (1) set normal.dot to read only; (2) replace your normal.dot with a known good backup when you start Word. Both methods will interfere with saving new AutoText entries and other customizations you might want to save, so hopefully you will get other suggestions.

Thanks

Some thoughts...

You won't overwrite your Normal.dot with one of theirs except on purpose.

Much of what follows is in the directive or imperative voice. That is a function of me being tired. Please think of these as being my musings on how I do things.

Generally the question which pops up "Do you want to save changes to Normal.dot" should be answered "yes" if you have made a backup of your Normal.dot. These are (1) customizations that you have deliberately made, and (2) adjustments that Word is making to your methods. Let it do this for about a week and the tweaks will for the most part stop. If you don't like what has happened, revert to your backup Normal.dot.

Save most of your customizations in a global template other than Normal.dot. In the long run it is likely to save you a lot of headaches. I make a backup of my Normal.dot about once a month (in addition to regular system backups).

Have and use a good virus checking program and have your security set to medium in Word. Do not enable macros from unknown people (or even from known people unless you know that they intended to send you the macros).

Don't make your Normal.dot read only. Do make your backups of Normal.dot read-only.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know of any way automatically to inhibit the attempt to save Normal.dot.

I have posted a DOS BATch file which i use to fire up Word. That batch file copies a secure Normal.dot over the existing Normal.dot. i have found this to be an effective way to curb the influence of Word macro viruses.

On the odd occasion when i need to hang on to something from a Word session, I finbd it very little trouble to make the change to my secure Normal.dot.

I ENJOY seeing a near-pristine Normal.dot each time i load Word.

New Lounger
    Thanks

You should not be prompted to save normal.dot every time you open it. Normal.dot is where your autotext, macros and custom toolbars (along with a few other settings are stored.) If you have a virus you could be prompted so make sure to update your signature files and do a scan. Also, if you have Word 2000 installed from Works Suite 2000, Works suite uses an add in in Word that will cause this prompt every time you close Word. Take a look at this KB article for help with this.
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/q241/7/63.asp

*edited by BAM to include URL tags**

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Susan,

Thanks to you and the other for your replies. I am not prompted to save normal.dot when I open it...only when I close Word. My Word is part of Office 2000 Pro, and I use active virus scanning religiously.

I guess the real question here is WHY IN THE WORLD would Microsoft force changes to the normal template if you don't want them? This "opt out" instead of "opt in" approach doesn't make a lot of sense. If you make changes while you are working on a particular "oddball" document and don't want those changes to appear in your everyday work, you have to take the extra steps to prevent it. Nice "feature," Microsoft!

Thanks

It sounds like your current implementation of Normal.dot is not set up for the way you are trying to work. If each time you use Word, you are prompted about changes to Normal.dot, you have done something to change Normal.dot.

Why not try saving those changes a few times and see if the prompting stops?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I merely open Word and then immediately close it, I still get the window that says changes have been made, do I want to save. As a test, I clicked on yes three times in a row just after opening Word, and it still asks me to save every time. It seems my normal.dot is normal.not.

BrianB

I'll jump into this thread. I've got two folks sitting near me who also get this prompt when they simply open Word and immediately close it. They've both answered yes many times and are still prompted. I've had them delete normal.dot and it still happens. They don't have macro virus's. They did something (they don't remember what) yesterday to start this behavior. I've looked at the kb <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q241/7/63.asp> (Q241763)</A> and it didn't have anything that worked. Any suggestions?

*edited by bam to include link to kb article*

Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is interesting - I have just reinstalled Office 2K plus the SR-1 patch on top of my freshly formatted Win2K system. (What a fun way to spend best part of a weekend that is.) The reason I've jojned this thread is that before I wiped my system, Word didn't exhibit this behaviour (i.e. trying to save normal.dot each time Word is closed). Now, suddenly it is doing exactly what other folks are reporting. What gives???

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you are getting a prompt every time that you close Word, even if you've done nothing, check the following:
    1. You said that you've checked for viruses as that is one possible cause.
    2. Check if you have any macros that start with "Auto". One of these could be changing normal.dot. Check all your macros.
    3. Close Word & rename normal.dot to normal.old. Start Word, close it, & save the changes. Try restarting Word to see if you still get the prompt. If not, your old normal.dot was corrupt; if so...
    3. Look for any add-ins in the startup folders. At a minimum, there are two...one for Word & one for Office (if you have Office installed). I don't know if you are on a network or not. Your administrator could be doing something.

If there's anything in the startup folders, move them out (keep track of them). See if that cures the problem. If so, move them in one at a time until the problem reappears. Then you know the culprit.

There are certain programs that will cause changes to normal.dot, but I can't recall which ones. However, you can search the forum for previous posts, as this issue has been discussed before.

Hope this helps.