Thanks
    I'm not at all sure whether this is a hardware question or a windows question:

If I'm using a laptop, wireless, and I'm on my home network, then whatever firewall is in place there at the router level applies, yes?

If I then go "out" until I hit a "hot spot", I have no internet, ergo need no firewall, yes?

Then, if I go where there IS a "hot-spot", will any "standard" firewall work / apply, or do I need something else?

I know I can get cards from my cell carrier (Verizon), but then I'm on my cell-time plan, and I surely don't want to be paying that!

What do I need to do here?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='766249' date='19-Mar-2009 12:31'][/quote]

Yes, the router firewall will work. Additionally, you should be running your favorite software firewall as another layer of defense.

When you are NOT connected there is no reason to run a firewall.

When you are connected to a hotspot you should be running your favorite software firewall anyway. As long as your as careful you should be OK.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='766261' date='19-Mar-2009 10:53']Yes, the router firewall will work. Additionally, you should be running your favorite software firewall as another layer of defense.

When you are NOT connected there is no reason to run a firewall.

When you are connected to a hotspot you should be running your favorite software firewall anyway. As long as your as careful you should be OK.

Joe[/quote]

Great. Thanks Joe.

Regards,
    Chuck
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='766336' date='20-Mar-2009 07:26']Great. Thanks Joe.

Regards,
    Chuck[/quote]

THIS little item might be of interest, if only for curiosity’s sake. Here is a REVIEW. I actually have (or had) one and had no complaint, but I note that it is only good for XP. The complaint about the cap in the review is silly, as most memory sticks have caps that are easy to lose.