Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Yodi all,

Say I have a loooong list where the A column content is sorted to group the entries. Each group of entries could be hundreds of rows deep. Besides find, is there a way in excel to quickly navigate to the beginning of each new group? I was thinking of a smart range name. A name comprising a formula that returns a reference to the beginning of each new category. Then using go to... I can navigate to the beginning of a a certain group. (This is theory, but any ideas from the lounge?)

TX
    Regards,
    Rudi

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have or create a column filled with the group name (category, ...), you can use AutoFilter to select a group and hide all others.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='766255' date='19-Mar-2009 19:42']If you have or create a column filled with the group name (category, ...), you can use AutoFilter to select a group and hide all others.[/quote]

Good evening Hans,

I don't think I understand your idea? I could (I suppose) filter the values in the A column I mentioned in the first post. This would filter the categories and give me access to the first item. I am not sure if the person that requested it was really wanting to filter the data. It was asked as more of a navigational request than a filter. I was just interested to know if there was an interesting way to move to each first item. Any idea of a keyboard shortcut to do this? (Just trying to think out the box)

PS: This is not an important request. Please do not spend valuable time working out detailed solutions to this request. Its just a by the way request?!!
    Regards,
    Rudi

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Not a step through but this highlights the start of each group:
    [codebox]Sub findStart()
    Dim intRows As Long
    On Error Resume Next

intRows = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

If Sheets(1).Cells(i, "A") <> Sheets(1).Cells(i - 1, "A") Then

With Sheets(1).Cells(i, "A").Interior
    .ColorIndex = 44
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    End If

Next i

End Sub

Sub ClearAll()
    Dim intRows As Long
    On Error Resume Next

intRows = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row

If Sheets(1).Cells(i, "A") <> Sheets(1).Cells(i - 1, "A") Then

With Sheets(1).Cells(i, "A").Interior
    .ColorIndex = xlNone

End With
    End If

Next i
    End Sub
    [/codebox]
    Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi there Jezzaroo...

Hope ya didn't spend too much time on that code. Thanks for the code. I can tweek it a little and see what can be made of it.
    Again... this question is just a sideliner...not a genuine problem I need to solve. (I just posted the question thinking that there may be a quick and interesting way of getting to the first new entry. Excel (and the lounge) has surprised me in the past with some unexpected and amazing answers. I have learned never to underestimate Excel.)

Cheers
    Regards,
    Rudi

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Cheers
    [/quote]

What about Hyperlinks? First create a list of group names, usually at the top of your list. Then change the names to Hyperlinks which link to the cell which begins each group.

Tip, create a Name called AAA (so its the first in name box) that refers to the palce you have the hyperlinks. This will allow you to jump to a group and quickly go back to AAA to jump to another group.

Hope this is of some help.

Regards,

Tom Duthie

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Tom,

That is a decent suggestion. One that I completely overlooked. Tx for that tip!
    Regards,
    Rudi